This is a classic Italian sauce that is slow cooked for hours and is better served the next day. It is thick and meaty and the Pancetta gives it a rich smoky flavor. It's totally worth the extra time!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. of mild ground Italian Sausage
- 1 lb. of lean ground beef
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 purple onion, finely chopped
- 5 oz of pancetta, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-28 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup of red wine
- 32 oz tomato sauce
- 4 cups of beef broth
- Penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the sausage and beef, stirring to crumble as it cooks.
2. Remove the meat from the dutch oven when it is brown throughout and no longer pink, place on a plate, cover to keep warm.
3. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the dutch oven and add the celery, carrots, onion and pancetta. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the veggies are soft. 4. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, red wine and beef broth.
5. Return the meat to the dutch oven and bring to a gentle boil, stirring to combine.
6. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 3-4 hours. Check the pot every 30 minutes, stirring and adding more broth if needed to keep the meat covered as it cooks.
7. When the sauce is rich and thick, remove from heat. This sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2-3 days.
8. Serve over your favorite pasta with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. (optional)
Powered by Recipage
Other great Italian dishes you might enjoy: