While we were at the ranch in Texas last month, I noticed an abundance of these funny little guys. Yeah Armadillos were everywhere! This little guy was in our friend's pasture and I was able to chase him down to get this photo when he tried to hid in this little cave. They are such funny little creatures, they are not aggressive and don't seem to be frightened. At least I don't scare them!
Maybe they don't frighten easy because they totally blend, especially during the winter here. If this little guy hadn't moved, I might have drove by and totally missed him.
This next little guy was calmly walking along in the ditch beside the road. We stopped and walked right up to him and it was like he didn't see us or really didn't care!
Their backs are bands of hard scales thus the name of, "Nine Banded Armadillo" which by the way, is the Official Small Mammal of Texas.
They have the power to jump straight up in the air. Yeah, I just had to put my hand on his back and he did jump straight up, soo funny!! I have read that they can jump straight up 3-4 feet, now that would have really startled me.
Such funny little faces:))
And he is outa here!!
Fun Facts about Armadillos:
1. The Nine-Banded Armadillo gives birth to same gender quadruplets from a single egg.
2. They can hold their breath for 6 minutes or more
3. They can jump 3-4 feet straight up when startled
4. They are designed for digging with stubby powerfuly legs and strong claws and they do so constantly
5. They are one of the few animals who consume fire ants as part of their diet which makes then beneficial to humans.