My mother loved chocolate covered cherries, you know those little boxes that appear around Christmas time and have the individual trays of chocolate covered maraschino cherries. Any time I see them I think of her.
Even when Alzheimer's had claimed her, she never forgot about those cherries. She didn't always know who I was but she always got excited when we handed her a new box of these treats. These memories bring such strong feelings back to me.
So with Mother's Day right around the corner, of course she is in my thoughts and I think of the pleasure she had receiving those chocolate covered cherries. I knew that homemade chocolate covered cherries with a really great chocolate like Chocoley Gourmet Chocolate, would be a great tribute to her for Mother's Day. I know my Mom would have loved to have this crystal bowl filled with chocolate covered cherries on her table!
I choose a dark chocolate for my coating since I have heard so many great health benefits associated with dark chocolate. And I just love tempered chocolate, who doesn't love the snap when you bite through the coating into that gooey center. Chocoley had the most amazing dark dipping chocolate that requires no tempering! Just a gorgeous shiny chocolate coating with that awesome snap into the treasure inside. Also if you would like a thicker coating, Chocoley has a Candy molding formula that is also awesome!!
I also knew if the coating stuck to the trays, it would leak out the gooey goodness so I grabbed some Chocoley heavy weight dipping sheets to prevent this from occurring.
Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1 tablespoon of cherry juice (retain from the drained cherries)
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 10oz jar of maraschino cherries (30-35)
- 1 lb Chocoley Bada Bing Bada Boom Dipping and Coating Formula (no tempering required) Chocolate
- Chocoley Heavy Weight Dipping Sheets (prevents the covered cherries from sticking and losing the filling)
1. Drain cherries and retain juice
2. Spread cherries on a cookie sheet, lined with a dipping sheet and place in freezer for at least 2 hours
3. Mix the butter, sweetened condensed milk, cherry juice, salt and powdered sugar until well blended and smooth for the filling. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to chill.
4. Remove filling from fridge and roll two teaspoons of the filling into a ball, flatten and place a frozen cherry in center, roll into a ball making sure the cherry is completed coated.
5. Place coated cherries in freezer separated on a cookie sheet and freeze for 2 hours.
6. Heat the Chocoley Coating chocolate in a double boiler. Remove a few coated cherries at a time and dip into the melted chocolate, removing with a slotted spoon and place on a Chocoley Heavy Duty Dipping sheet
7. Refrigerate until firm, remove the Chocolate Cherries and place in an airtight container for up to a month.