We are trying to eat a little healthier here on the Ranch and lose a few pounds in the process. We refuse to give up our favorite dishes so we decided to take some of our favorite dishes, and revamp them to fit with our diet goals. This Chicken Parmigiana has all the flavor of the original Chicken Parmigiana but with a few changes that make a really big difference. I know you and your family will love it!
Chicken Parmigiana-Healthier Version
- 3/4 cup of All Bran Cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup of pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup of liquid egg substitute
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 4 oz pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1/2 cup lowfat Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
1. In a blender or food processor grind cereal into crumbs. Transfer into a shallow bowl, add basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Place egg substitute into a second shallow bowl
3. One at a time, dip chicken breasts into egg substitute, shaking off excess, then coat with the crumb mixture.
4. Coat large skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium heat
5. Add chicken breasts to skillet, cook, turning once, until no longer pink in center, about 4-6 minutes per side.
6. Spread about 1/4 cup of sauce over chicken in skillet, sprinkle with half the cheese.
7. Reduce heat to low, cover. Cook until cheese melts. 2-3 minutes, sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Powered by Recipage
My favorite way to serve this Chicken Parmigiana is with steamed asparagus and a fresh crisp salad with lowfat Italian dressing.
That makes a great low calorie meal!
I hope you enjoy this dish and wish you loads of luck with your goals for a healthier you! You can do it, just take one day at a time and eat exactly today what you need to eat, get a little more active and just enjoy your life!!
Here are some other great suggestions to help us stay on our healthier weight loss goals: