Like most Southerners I grew up with black eye peas but I have never tried them cold until I found this dish.
This Cowboy Caviar, sometimes called Texas Caviar, can be made with different ingredients, for instance, I have a friend that adds avocado to hers, sounds great, doesn't it.
I choose to make it with some basic flavors that really bring out the black eye peas and added a seasoned and healthy olive oil dressing with herbs and plenty of salt and pepper.
This Cowboy Caviar can be served with chips or as a side dish, I know it goes great with BBQ. And I'm sure that's the way most self-respecting Texas eat it!
Yeppers, we are partial to dishes that can be served with BBQ. Either way, enjoy, my Friends!
- 12 oz cooked black eye peas
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup purple onions, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Gently mix cooled and drained black eye peas (cooked), green onions, purple onions, tomato, garlic and jalapeno in a medium bowl
2. Add olive oil, vinegar, oregano, basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well.
3. Pour olive oil mixture over pea mixture and gently stir to combine.
4. Place in fridge for 4-6 hours for flavors to marry
5. Serve with tortilla chips or as a side dish
Powered by Recipage
Other dishes you might enjoy: