Like most Southerners I grew up with black eye peas but I have never tried them cold until I found this dish. This Cowboy Caviar, sometimes called Texas Caviar, can be made with different ingredients, for instance I have a friend that adds avocado to hers, sounds great huh? I choose to make it with some basic flavors that really bring out the black eye peas and added a seasoned and healthy olive oil dressing with herbs and plenty of salt and pepper.
This Cowboy Caviar can be served with chips or as a side dish, I know it goes great with BBQ. And I'm sure that's the way most self respecting Texas eat it! Yeppers, we are partial to dishes that can be served with BBQ. Either way, enjoy, my Friends!
- 12 oz cooked black eye peas
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup purple onions, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Gently mix cooled and drained black eye peas (cooked), green onions, purple onions, tomato, garlic and jalapeno in a medium bowl
2. Add olive oil, vinegar, oregano, basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well.
3. Pour olive oil mixture over pea mixture and gently stir to combine.
4. Place in fridge for 4-6 hours for flavors to marry
5. Serve with tortilla chips or as a side dish
Powered by Recipage
Other dishes you might enjoy: