Here a few weeks ago, the hubby and I were traveling thru Gail, Texas and found a quaint place to have lunch. It wasn't hard to choose where to eat, there are only two business' in the whole county (Borden County, Texas) and we were lucky enough to pick the one cafe with the best personality, I guess the odds were like 50/50. HA! Anyway, everyone inside were local people and they all chimed in on suggestions as to what we should order. Seriously they did! Since chicken fried steak was one of favorites, the hubby choose it and it was served with Southern Style Green Beans. You know those Southern Style Green beans, like the ones we grew up with, cooked with bacon grease and loaded with bacon and some amazing flavors! And they were delicious! After that we both craved more of those green beans, so it became a challenge to recreate that pot of green beans! And we did it! These Southern Style Green Beans are loaded with flavors and bring back some great memories of our childhood!
Southern Style Green Beans
- 8 Slices of bacon
- 2 1/2 lbs of fresh green beans, ends snapped
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Fry bacon until crisp in a large skillet, remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Save bacon grease.
2. Add green beans to a large crock pot, add chicken stock, water, seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder and reserved bacon grease.
3. Cook on high for 5-6 hours until green beans are tender
4. Drain beans and add butter. Crumble reserved bacon and add, toss to coat and serve.
Powered by Recipage
Other great veggie dishes: