This Pound cake is the Very Best Pound Cake I have ever made!
No joking, the recipe has the perfect blend of ingredients to make a dense texture to hold up under any topping you may choose. No soggy pieces of bread under a fruit topping here! Nope, no way!!
It is sweet but not overly so and with a slight lemony flavor for a clean taste that will not cause conflict with your choice of toppings.
You might need to make two loafs when you make this because the first disappears so quickly.
We served it sliced, with strawberries and a dollop of whipped topping and it was just perfect!! Easy dessert idea for a weeknight dinner or for a special dessert that will impress any guest!
The Very Best Pound Cake
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
2. Butter and flour a 9 X 5 X 2 inch loaf pan
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Beat in the honey, lemon juice, salt and nutmeg until combined. Slowly beat in flour until combined
5. Pour into loaf pan
6. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (Check by inserting a toothpick until it comes out clean) This is a very dense cake so it might set up slightly as it cools.
7. Let the cake cool before removing from the pan.