This poundcake is the Very Best Pound Cake I have ever made! No joking, the recipe has the perfect blend of ingredients to make a dense texture to hold up under any topping you may choose. No soggy pieces of bread under a fruit topping here! Nope, no way!! It is sweet but not overly so and with a slight lemony flavor for a clean taste that will not cause conflict with your choice of toppings. You might need to make two loafs when you make this because the first disappears so quickly.
I served it sliced, with strawberries and a dollop of whipped topping and it was just perfect!! Easy dessert idea for a weeknight dinner or for a special dessert that will impress any guest!
The Very Best Pound Cake
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
2. Butter and flour a 9 X 5 X 2 inch loaf pan
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Beat in the honey, lemon juice, salt and nutmeg until combined. Slowly beat in flour until combined
5. Pour into loaf pan
6. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (Check by inserting a toothpick until it comes out clean) This is a very dense cake so it might set up slightly as it cools.
7. Let the cake cool before removing from the pan.