I think I am married to the number one fan of basil! My sweet hubby loves loads of basil in sauces, in Bruschetta and in Pesto! (his favorite)
And just this week, our basil in our herb garden was ready to be harvested, so we whipped up our first batch of Homemade Basil Pesto for the summer! Store bought pesto is delicious but Homemade Pesto with Fresh Basil from the garden is amazing! But alas we are watching our carbs this month so Pasta was not on our menu, so we came up with a delicious twist on Chicken Salad, a Pesto Chicken Salad! This could be served on a garden salad, stuffed into tomatoes or even on bread for a delicious sandwich.
**Be sure and check out our recipe for Homemade Pesto, either click thru here or scroll to the bottom for pictures of other recipes we love!
Pesto Chicken Salad
- 4 cups of cooked chicken breasts, shredded or chopped (about 2 large breasts)
- 3 Tablespoons of finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup Homemade basil pesto (or store bought)
- 2 tablespoons mayonaise
1. Combine pesto, mayonnaise and onion in a medium bowl.
2. Add the shredded chicken and toss to coat
3. Serve on a bed of lettuce or on top of a tossed salad