I grew up eating biscuits and gravy for breakfast, it was a cheap, stick-to-your-ribs hot breakfast which my mother believed we had to have before we started our day. My mother would have swooned (not that my mother would ever think about swooning, she was too tough for that silly business) if she had to serve us cold cereal. Ladies such as my mother though it was a lazy housewife who didn't cook breakfast for their family. Cold cereal, NEVER! Ha, how things have changed, now most "cold cereals" are now listed as healthier choices. I always wanted cold cereal not biscuits and gravy!! But how silly was I? Biscuits and gravy for breakfast everyday would be heaven to me now. Of course my mother didn't always cook sausage in the gravy, times were harder back then and pennies really counted.
Anyways, on a weekend morning we love to start the day with a big pan of homemade biscuits and a skillet of sausage gravy with maybe a few scrambled eggs on the side! Sausage Gravy and Biscuits are a special treat here on the Ranch and just take me back to some great memories of a time when summers were longer and calories were not important! Oh the Good Ol' Days!!
Don't forget to scroll down to see more of our favorite breakfast recipes!
- 1 pound of ground breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 3-4 cups of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown sausage over medium heat in a cast iron skillet, breaking it up as it cooks.
2. Do not drain (unless it's swimming in grease), sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage until all the flour soaks up the grease.
3. Continue to cook stirring the mixture until the flour is cooked about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add 3 cups of the milk and stir constantly until the mixture thickens, add more milk if it gets too thick. (about 10-12 minutes)
5. Sprinkle with black pepper and add salt to taste.
Powered by Recipage
Other recipes I know you will love: