Did you know that eating stir fries can help you loss weight?
But how about Beef Lo Mein? Can a Beef Lo Mein be healthy but also quick and easy?
Even though most stir fries are loaded with lean protein and fresh vegetables, eating restaurant dishes can defeat our goals of healthy eating.
We need to be extra careful in choosing our dishes in restaurants based on the ingredients and to also avoid some of the pitfalls of added salt and sweetened sauces.
So our best option to healthy healthy is to prepare dishes at home and we can avoid unwanted additives.
But when we choose to cook healthy meals at home instead of eating out, we are faced with additional challenges.
One of the hardest challenges about eating healthy at home, is it's time consuming. It does take more time to plan, more time to prepare and more time to cook.
And if you come home hungry and need dinner on the table quickly, a healthy dinner can be a little overwhelming and ultimately lead to failure.
We will try to overcome most of your concerns with making this easy beef Lo Mein at home that is loaded with healthy ingredients.
Most of the work and time in preparing an healthy stir fry is chopping the vegetables. But with a sharp knife, it only takes a few minutes.
We grab a large cutting board and chop all the veggies and leave them on the board for easy adding to the work and to prevent all the extra dishes to wash.
And with the addition of fresh spinach,, it adds a punch of extra punch of heart healthy nutrition and vitamins to your plate.
Also with the right Pampered Chef Stir Fry Pan and utensils, Beef Lo Mein is really quick and easy!
Quick and Easy Beef & Spinach Lo Mein
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb beef round steak, thinly sliced
- 6 oz uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1-8 oz can of sliced water chestnuts
- 1 purple onion, sliced thick
- 1 cup snow peas
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1 red chile, seeded and sliced
- sliced almonds for garnish, optional
- sliced green onions for garnish, optional
1. In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Remove 1/4 cup of the mixture to a larger bowl, add beef to the larger bowl and toss to coat. Marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Cook spaghetti accordingly to package directions, drain.
3. In a large skillet or wok, add heat vegetable oil and heat. Add the beef mixture and stir-fry until no longer pink, about 2-3 minutes. (may have to cook in two batches if skillet or wok is not large enough). Remove beef to a plate to keep warm.
4. Stir-fry water chestnuts, purple onions, and snow peas in oil for 1-2 minute until crisp-tender. Add spinach and hoisin mixture, toss to coat and stir-fry until spinach is wilted.
5. Return beef to skillet, add drained spaghetti and red chile and toss to combine and heat through.
6. Serve garnished with green onions and/or sliced almonds, optional