Do you choose the greens first in a salad and then add other veggies? Or do you open the fridge and search for veggies and then grab the greens?
What about fresh spinach? If you told your family, you are choosing fresh spinach, do you hear groans?
Most spinach salads have the same ingredients, onions, eggs and bacon and it is delicious but does it have that wow factor that silences all those groans?
Don't get me wrong, I am a traditionist in most things and I love a great spinach salad but I also like to shake our meals up a little.
And shake up this salad, we did! This salad is loaded with healthy fresh spinach, whole grain penne pasta, ripe olives, fresh tomatoes, feta cheese and a homemade dressing.
Our dressing is made with wine vinegar, virgin olive oil, parmesan cheese and fragrant herbs, salt, and pepper. Shaken together, it created an emulsion of flavors that would accent any salad.
*Tip: Use this dressing as a marinade for chicken or fish
Most meals we have a salad, either with a wrap for lunch or to start off our evening meal. We love a plain lettuce and tomato salad but sometimes we wish for something different and this satisfied that wish.
(Pampered Chef Consultant)
This Fresh Spinach and Pasta salad are also very versatile, add grilled chicken breast, beef or tuna to turn this into a main dish.
But this Fresh Spinach and Pasta Salad could also be a main dish in itself, this was our main dish for lunch today.
Pasta and Spinach Salad
- 16 oz whole wheat penne pasta
- 6 oz of fresh baby spinach
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 oz of crumbled feta cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced well
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook pasta accordingly to packages directions, (al dente), drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
2. Whisk the ingredients for the vinaigrette together
3. In a large salad bowl, add cooled pasta, baby spinach, tomatoes, feta cheese, onions and black olives
4. Add vinaigrette and toss well to coat evenly