We took the Classic Tuna Melt and made a few changes to make it what we believe is the Best Tuna Melt that you will ever eat!
We grew up eating tuna salad sandwiches or as we called them, "Tuna fish sandwiches". We made Tuna fish sandwiches with canned tuna, chopped pickles either dill or sweet, plenty of chopped hard boiled eggs and enough mayonnaise to hold everything together. Sometimes mom would add a leaf or two of lettuce between the layers. Those sandwiches with a side of chips and we were in heaven, it was a perfect summer time lunch and one of our favorites.
We weren't introduced to Tuna Melts until we were adults, not sure if Tuna Melt sandwiches were just not popular in our area of the woods or if my mother just didn't like them.
Anyways our version is an open faced Tuna melt with a twist, we exchanged the pickles for pimentos, melted provolone cheese and grilled some onions to top slices of toasted artisan sourdough bread.
The Best Tuna Melt you will ever eat
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 slices of Artisan Sourdough Bread
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1- 12 oz can of Tuna, drained
- 1- 4 oz jar of sliced pimentos, drained
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
1. Place sliced onion in a medium skillet and saute over medium heat in cooking spray until caramelized
2. Meanwhile gently mix canned tuna, pimientos, eggs and mayonnaise in a medium bowl to make a tuna salad
3. Toast sourdough bread in a toaster until brown then place on baking sheet
4. Divide the tuna salad among the four slices of toasted sourdough bread
5. Top each sandwich with 1 slice provolone cheese slice
6. Heat broiler on high, broil sandwiches until cheese is melted
7. Spoon caramelized onions on top of each sandwich, slice in half and serve