Make this easy Instant Pot Chicken Creole Recipe in less than 30 minutes. This Chicken Creole with rice makes a quick weeknight dinner.
Creole Chicken is a dish that originates from Louisiana and contains a tomato-based sauce. Because it contains tomatoes, that makes it a Creole sauce and not a Cajun sauce. Yes, the main difference between Creole Cooking and Cajun Cooking is tomatoes. Also, Creole Sauce is a quick-cooking sauce that distinguishes it from becoming a spaghetti sauce.
Can you make chicken creole in an instant pot:
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Absolutely you can make chicken creole in an instant pot and it’s amazing. Since Chicken Creole is one creole dish that does not contain a roux, it’s perfect for the instant pot. And this easy chicken creole recipe can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.
How to make Chicken Creole Recipe:
Scroll down for Printable Recipe
Start this recipe by chopping one whole onion and one green bell pepper into small pieces. An inexpensive vegetable chopper makes this job quicker and easier. Chop a 7-ounce ham steak into the same size pieces.
Turn instant pot on saute and add one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the mixture of chopped onions, bell pepper, and ham.
Saute the onion, pepper, and ham for about five minutes until the onion begins to soften.
Add tomatoes, Rotel and a couple of dashes of tabasco on top of the sautéed veggies and ham.
Place two chicken breasts on top of the sautéed vegetables, season with salt and pepper and top with one bay leaf.
Spoon vegetable mixture over the chicken breasts. Close the lid on the Pot and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Set for a manual high time of 10 minutes and allow for time to complete.
To thicken add one 6-ounce can of tomato paste and stir to combine.
Use a rice cooker and make rice following the instructions on the cooker. One of our favorite appliances is a rice cooker especially at times like this, the rice comes out perfect each and every time. Then serve this Chicken Creole with Rice with additional Tabasco on the side.
Other New Orleans Recipes you might enjoy:
Click HERE to save this Chicken Creole Recipe to Pinterest
Instant Pot Creole Chicken with Rice
- 2 chicken breasts boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 1 1 ounce can Rotel with liquid
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 7 ounce ham steak chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- rice Cooked, to serve
- Turn Instant Pot onto saute mode and add in vegetable oil. When that has heated, toss in the ham, onion, and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes, or vegetables start to soften.
- Add in tomatoes, Rotel. Add chicken to the top and salt, pepper and bay leaf. Spoon some of the veggie mixture over the chicken.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot and turn pressure valve to sealing. Set for a manual-high time of 10 minutes. Allow for a quick pressure release time has completed.
- Mix in tomato paste to thicken and stir well.
- Serve with rice