Make an eggplant parmesan casserole with our low carb eggplant parmesan recipe. This fried eggplant parmesan recipe is made without breading the zucchini.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Eggplant Parmigiana and eggplant parmesan are the same; the only difference is the cheeses that we usually use. But things have evolved to the point that these two terms are interchangeable. And most recipes are made with parmesan, cheese not parmigiana cheese.
We also made a homemade red sauce for this pan of eggplant parmesan. It’s easy and well worth the little time it takes. This eggplant parmesan is also a great meatless meal, but it’s not a vegan since we do use chicken broth in our sauce.
If you enjoyed this low carb eggplant parmesan then see:
Click HERE to save this eggplant parmesan casserole to Pinterest
For the Italian Red Sauce
- Cover the bottom of a dutch oven with olive oil and heat on med heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in tomatoes and chicken broth
- Drop in 1 whole peeled carrot. (The carrot will remove the acids of the tomatoes and prevent heartburn from the red sauce)
- Lower the heat to low and let the red sauce simmer for an hour or even more.
- Remove carrot and discard before serving.
- While red sauce is simmering
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry the eggplant slices in just enough olive oil to cover a large skillet. Only fry 2 to 3 slices at one time about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon enough red sauce in the bottom of a 9 X 13 casserole dish to just cover the bottom.
- Place half of the slices of the cooked eggplant over the sauce, cover with more sauce.
- Top with half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Layer with remaining eggplant slices, red sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese in that order.
- Sprinkle with the chopped fresh basil.
- Bake for 40 minutes uncovered until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let cool about 10-15 minutes before serving.