This Recipe for Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna meets our goal is to keep carbs at bay. But we can still enjoy one of our favorite Italian foods.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
If you are trying to lose weight or just eat healthier, your daily intake of carbs including veggies and fruit should be no more than 20-70 grams daily. And of course, they should consist of complex carbs. Just a simple exchange made such a big difference and it’s so much easier to stay on your diet goals if your taste buds are happy.
Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 lb 97% fat-free ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can 8oz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 carrot
- 4 small zucchini thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese + 1/4 cup for topping
- 2 egg whites
- 1 package frozen spinach thawed and drained completely
- Cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper in a dutch oven or large skillet over med heat. Cook and stir until meat is brown with no pink showing
- Add tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, oregano and basil and bring to a boil. Add hot water if the sauce is too thick. I always add a whole carrot at this point. (the carrot will remove the acid and after the sauce is done, just remove the carrot)
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes while you are grilling the zucchini slices.
- The zucchini slices should be very thin, I used a mandoline. Place in a ziplock bag and add just enough olive oil to cover each slice. Remove slices and place slices on grill and salt and pepper to taste. Grill until done. Place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- In a medium bowl, add the ricotta cheese, egg whites and 1/2 cup of low-fat mozzarella cheese. Blend well
- Spoon 1/3 of the meat sauce in an 8 X 8 baking dish
- Place 1/2 of the zucchini slices on top of the meat sauce, completely covering the sauce.
- Spoon 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top of the zucchini and spreading it into a thin layer as best as possible
- Add 1/2 of the spinach and then another 1/3 of the meat sauce spreading into layers
- Place the remaining zucchini, following with the cheese mixture, spinach, and the remaining meat sauce
- Top with the last 1/3 of the cheese mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of additional mozzarella cheese
- Cover and bake in a preheated 325-degree F oven for 45 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
If you enjoyed our Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna
Love Cast Iron?
Join us and receive "How to Season and Care for Cast Iron" ebook and weekly email newlestters to what's cooking at the Ranch.