An Easy Zucchini Lasagna recipe for a Low Carb Lasagna. If you are looking for an awesome low carb Italian recipe then you must try this low carb zucchini lasagna!
We love Italian food I mean I don’t know many who do not love all that cheesy saucy goodness. But sometimes the pasta is just too heavy and loaded with high-calorie carbs. We are looking for ways to make a Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna dish that is rich and delicious. And I think we found it with this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
How to Make Easy Zucchini Lasagna for a Low Carb Italian Recipe:
If you are trying to lose weight or just eat healthier, your daily intake of carbs including veggies and fruit should be no more than 20-70 grams daily. And of course, they should consist of complex carbs. Just a simple exchange made such a big difference and it’s so much easier to stay on your diet goals if your taste buds are happy. And this low carb lasagna is a great way to do it!
Start your low carb lasagna by preparing your veggies and herbs. If you are using fresh herbs, wash them well and then remove leaves on the basil and oregano and chop. Slice the zucchini using a mandoline or a kitchen knife into 1/4 – 1/2 inch slices and set aside.
Heat grill or a grill pan to a medium-high heat and place zucchini slices in a single layer on the hot grill. Grill on both sides until tender and done. Place on a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all the zucchini is grilled.
In a medium bowl, add the egg whites, ricotta cheese, and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and mix with a fork until thoroughly blended.
How to assemble this Low Carb Lasagna:
If you enjoyed our Easy Zucchini Lasagna
Click HERE to save this low carb lasagna recipe to Pinterest
Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 lb 97% fat-free ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can 8oz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 carrot
- 4 small zucchini thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella Cheese for topping
- 2 egg whites
- 1 package frozen spinach thawed and drained completely
- Cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper in a dutch oven or large skillet over med heat. Cook and stir until meat is brown with no pink showing
- Add tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, oregano, and basil and bring to a boil. Add hot water if the sauce is too thick. I always add a whole carrot at this point. (the carrot will remove the acid and after the sauce is done, just remove the carrot)
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes while you are grilling the zucchini slices.
- Prepare the defrosted spinach by draining well. Use paper towels or tea towel to wring all the water out of the spinach. (It will affect your zucchini lasagna if the spinach is too wet)
- Slice the zucchini into thin slices, I used a mandoline but you could use a sharp knife. Season with olive oil to cover each slice and then add freshly ground black pepper and salt. Heat grill or grill pan and grill zucchini until done, turning halfway through.
- In a medium bowl, add the ricotta cheese, egg whites and 1/2 cup of low-fat mozzarella cheese. Blend well
- Spoon 1/3 of the meat sauce in an 8 X 8 baking dish
- Place 1/2 of the zucchini slices on top of the meat sauce, completely covering the sauce.
- Spoon 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top of the zucchini and spread it as best as possible
- Add 1/2 of the spinach and then another 1/3 of the meat sauce spreading into layers
- Place the remaining zucchini, following with the cheese mixture, spinach, and the remaining meat sauce
- Top with the last 1/3 of the cheese mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of additional mozzarella cheese
- Cover and bake in a preheated 325-degree F oven for 45 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.