This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
One thing that I miss about New Mexico is the abundance of fresh green chiles We lived near Hatch New Mexico and reaped the benefit of fresh Hatch Green Chiles every fall.
When the chiles are roasted, the flame is turned off and the drum continues to turn so most of the seeds and skins fall off. We pack them in a big trash bag to take home to separate and freeze. The aroma of roasting green chile is heavenly and just hangs over the entire area and is one of my all-time favorite smells.
We separate our fresh chiles and freeze them with our Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer. This way we have fresh green chiles in our freezer all year for such things as our Chile Verde recipe.
How to make New Mexico Green Chile Stew:
Scroll down for the printable recipe
Start your New Mexico Green Chile Stew with 3lbs of pork shoulder cut into 1/2 inch cubes. We always cut away most of the fat but leave some for flavoring.
Liberally season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss the meat to cover all sides to make this chile Verde recipe.
Place pork cubes in a large dutch oven with the olive oil over medium-high heat until brown. You might have to do this in batches to make sure that it browns and not boils.
Remove the pork cubes from the dutch oven and set aside. We use a pie plate and cover to keep warm until all the pork cubes are cooked.
Chop 1 whole white onion to equal one cup and mince 5 cloves of peeled garlic. We use this rubber tubey thingy Garlic Peeler which works amazingly well. And we have thrown out all our garlic mincers since we purchased this Green Garlic Chopper. It’ makes my heart happy and makes using fresh garlic a breeze.
If you enjoyed this Green Chile Pork Slow Cooker Stew or Chile Verde Recipe then try these:
- Hatch Fried Green Chile Strips
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Green Chiles
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Cheddar and Chile Bread
- Chicken and Green Chile Grilled Pizza
Click HERE to save this Green Chile Pork Slow Cooker Stew Recipe to Pinterest
Hatch Green Chile Pork Stew
- Slow Cooker
- 3 lbs Pork shoulder cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-7 Hatch green chile roasted and chopped into 1/2″ pieces or 1(14oz) can of chopped green chiles
- 1 large onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 whole potatoes peeled and cubed
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 oz can green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Flour Tortillas
- Season pork cubes with salt and pepper and brown in a large dutch oven with the olive oil over medium-high heat until brown in batches.
- Remove the pork cubes and allow them to drain on paper towels.
- Add chopped onions in the dutch oven and cook until soft and translucent about 5-6 minutes.
- Add green chiles, garlic, cumin, oregano and cook for 1minute.
- Add vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan, pour in the enchilada sauce and chicken broth, heat.
- Place pork cubes in a slow cooker, pour the sauce from the Dutch oven over the pork, add the potatoes and cook for 3-4 hours on high.
- Pork will be tender and the sauce will be thickened.
- Serve with heated tortillas on the side