How to Make Slow Cooker Apple Butter:
Scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe
Canning apple butter:
This recipe will make 4 half pint mason jars
Spoon the apple butter into the hot half-pint canning jars leaving a quarter inch headspace. Clean the rims and place lids on the jars.
Place the filled jars back into the water bath. The water should come up to within 1-2 inches of the top of the jar and the jars should not be crowded. Bring temperature to a rolling boil and boil for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the jars using a Jar Lifter and set on a clean dry towel.
Let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours. After 12-24 hours check to make sure they have sealed by touching the center, it should not move up and down.
Apple Butter uses:
- Spread on toasted bread
- On Southern biscuits
- Fold and mash into baked sweet potatoes
- On pork loin or pork chops
- Rolled into heated tortillas
- on pancakes or waffles
- in a cake
If you have enjoyed this recipe for crockpot apple butter and canning apple butter then try these:
Click HERE to save this Crockpot apple butter to Pinterest
Homemade Apple Butter
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker and puree in a food processor or use an immersion blender until completely smooth.
- Spoon in half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, remove any air bubbles, wipe the rims of the jars and place lids on.
Canning and Water Bath Instructions:
- Fill a home canner half-way with water. You could also use a large saucepot or stockpot with a cake rack placed on the bottom to keep the jars from touching the bottom of the pot. Place empty jars, lids, and rings in the water, bring water to a simmer over medium heat.
- Remove the empty jars one at a time using a jar lifter and fill with the apple butter leaving 1/4 headspace. Carefully remove any bubbles. (I use a wooden or porcelain chopstick, do not use metal). Remove the lids and rings from the boiling water with a magnetic lid-lifter. Place lids and rings on jars.
- Place filled jars back into the water bath using the jar lifter. The water should come up to within 1-2 inches of the top of the jar and the jars should not be crowded.
- Bring temperature to a rolling boil and boil for 15 minutes. Carefully remove and set on a clean dry towel. Let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours.
- After 12-24 hours check to make sure they have sealed by touching the center, it should not move up and down.