Apple kolaches are made easier with canned apple filling inside an authentic kolache dough recipe, also how to make kolaches for other fruit kolache flavors
If you haven’t had a kolache, you really need to try one today. So either come on down to Texas or you can make some right here using our recipe on how to make a kolache.
Apple Kolache Recipe
For the Dough
For the Filling
- 1 21 oz can Apple Pie Filling
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, warm milk, sugar and 1 cup of flour
- Cover and let it rise until doubled in size.
- Melt the butter.
- Beat the eggs, salt, and half of the melted butter
- Add egg mixture to yeast mixture and blend.
- Stir in about two more cups of flour, 1/2 cup at a time. The dough should be soft and moist, but not sticky. Add more flour as needed.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until dough is smooth and highly malleable, about 10 minutes.
- Put dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, punch it down and pull off egg size pieces.
- 10. In your hands, roll pieces into balls and then flatten to about 3-4 inches in diameter.
- 11. Place 2 tablespoons of the apple pie filling in the center of each piece, then fold over and pinch to seal.
- 12. Place the kolaches seam side down on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise for another 30-45 minutes.
- 13. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 14. Brush the tops with melted butter and bake until lightly browned about 15-18 minutes.
- 15. Brush with the remaining melted butter one more time when they come out of the oven Serve warm.
If you Enjoyed these Texas Apple Kolaches then try these other Texas Recipes: