Apple kolaches are made easier with canned apple filling inside a kolache dough recipe, also all the information on how to make authentic kolaches for other fruit kolache flavors.
If you enjoy these apple kolaches then try these other Texas Recipes:
Click HERE to save this How to Make Kolache recipe to Pinterest
Apple Kolache Recipe
For the Dough
For the Filling
- 1 21 oz can Apple Pie Filling
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, warm milk, sugar and 1 cup of flour
- Cover and let it rise until doubled in size.
- Melt the butter.
- Beat the eggs, salt, and half of the melted butter
- Add egg mixture to yeast mixture and blend.
- Stir in about two more cups of flour, 1/2 cup at a time. The dough should be soft and moist, but not sticky. Add more flour as needed.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until dough is smooth and highly malleable, about 10 minutes.
- Put dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, punch it down and pull off egg size pieces.
- In your hands, roll pieces into balls and then flatten to about 3-4 inches in diameter.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the apple pie filling in the center of each piece, then fold over and pinch to seal.
- Place the kolaches seam side down on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise for another 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and bake until lightly browned about 15-18 minutes.
- Brush with the remaining melted butter one more time when they come out of the oven Serve warm.