Homemade White Chicken chili recipe that is healthier than regular white chili. A chili chicken with green chile, chicken, white beans, and garbanzo beans
Anytime it gets below 50 degrees here in Texas, we start craving a pot of chili. So if it’s early fall, the dead of winter or a late spring day, one form of chili is usually on the menu each week here at the Ranch. We do have several different versions of Homemade Texas Chili but since we are trying to eat a little healthier, we opted for a white chicken chili today.
What makes our White Chili Healthier?
- White Chili is made with chunks of leaner chicken breasts for a lower fat protein choice
- Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas) are also added to this bowl for extra fiber and lean protein
- And we stayed away from a tomato-based sauce to decrease the acidity on the tummy.
- Both Jalapeños and green chile contain Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Capsaicin (Capsaicin is said to reduce inflammation)
How to Make White Chili Chicken:
We add flavor to this white chicken chili by adding some jalapeño. You could add 1 or 2 according to your family’s heat tolerance. Did you know that if you seed the jalapeño and cut off the membranes it reduces the heat?
Other comfort food:
Click HERE to save this White Chicken Chili Recipe to Pinterest
White Chicken Chili
- 2 chicken breasts chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 16 oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 15.8 oz can great northern beans
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat Monterey jack cheese grated
- Saute onion and jalapeño in olive oil in a dutch oven for 1 minute.
- Add chopped chicken pieces and cook until brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, chiles, cumin, oregano, chipotle chili powder and salt. Saute for another minute
- Stir in chicken broth and both cans of beans, bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Serve topped with cilantro and cheese.
Friday 20th of April 2018
Have you ever done this recipe in a crock pot? And if so how long do you leave it in there for? I can't wait to try it!
Saturday 21st of April 2018
If you brown everything in a dutch oven on top of the stove, you can move everything to a crockpot and cook for 4-6 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high. I have never tried it but this sounds like the perfect recipe for a crockpot
Sunday 12th of January 2014
This is so so yummy! I love this white chili recipe! =)
Monday 20th of May 2013
I love this white chili! I will pin this recipe to try!
Saturday 11th of May 2013
I love white chili but I have not seen a recipe before with Garbanzos. Hmmm, I will have to try it.
Wednesday 8th of May 2013
This is delicious! Thank you for sharing