Is your family a potato loving family? Is there not a day that goes by without seeing a potato on your menu? Yep, that’s us too, we love those spuds!
Potatoes just have to to be the most versatile food group. Yeah, we consider them a food group all to themselves.
And our go-to potato dish is usually mashed potatoes, we have several ways to make the best mashed potatoes depending on our mood for the day and of course, what we have on hand. See, versatility is the name of the game.
But we are here today to talk about a Rustic Garlic Mashed Potato dish that uses red potatoes and is seasoned with roasted garlic.
One of the life-changing ingredients for these Crazy Good Rustic Mashed Potatoes is Roasted Garlic. It’s amazing and it really rocks that comfort dial.
You can’t beat these Rustic Red Mashed Potatoes for comfort food, and the added ingredients are just another layer of comfort. So when making these potatoes, it’s just simply adding extra flavor with the roasted garlic, heavy whipping cream and a little extra butter that will create that comforting dish we are all craving.
Just keep these simple tips in mind when making Rustic Mashed potatoes:
1. Never use cold butter or cold cream
2. Always salt the boiling water as the potato chunks are cooking
3. Never over mash the potatoes or they will become like glue
4. Also, it’s Ok, for these potatoes to have a few chunks, lumpy is not only ok but wanted with Rustic Mashed Red Potatoes.
5. It’s always better to use a potato smasher, not a mixer (See above, my grandmother’s potato smasher with a wooden handle)
6. Leave the peel on the potatoes
While Yukon golds or russets will be creamier, these red potatoes produce a chunkier rustic dish.
These Crazy Good Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes will hold their own to any hearty main dishes, such as prime rib, a pot roast or a baked ham.
Just make a bowl of these comfort mashed potatoes to fill in all your food groups each and every day!
- 1 head garlic
- Olive oil
- 3-4 pounds red potatoes
- 1 (8 tablespoons) stick butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped chives