Is your family a potato loving family? Is there not a day that goes by without seeing a potato on your menu? Yep, that’s us too, we love those spuds!
Potatoes just have to be the most versatile food group. Yeah, we consider them a food group all to themselves.
And our go-to potato dish is usually mashed potatoes, we have several ways to make the best-mashed potatoes depending on our mood for the day and of course, what we have on hand. See, versatility is the name of the game.
But we are here today to talk about garlic red skin mashed potatoes that use red bliss potatoes and are seasoned with roasted garlic.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
One of the life-changing ingredients for these garlic mashed red potatoes is roasted garlic. It’s amazing and it really rocks that comfort dial. And we used red bliss potatoes that have the most amazing flavor.
You can’t beat these mashed potatoes for comfort food, and the added ingredients are just another layer of comfort. So when making these potatoes, it’s just simply adding extra flavor. So you use roasted garlic, heavy whipping cream and a little extra butter that will create that comforting dish we are all craving.
Tips for making the best garlic red skin mashed potatoes
- Never use cold butter or cold cream
- Always salt the boiling water as the potato chunks are cooking
- Never over-mash the potatoes or they will become like glue
- Also, it’s Ok, for these potatoes to have a few chunks, lumpy is not only ok but wanted with Rustic Mashed Red Potatoes.
- It’s always better to use a hand potato masher, not a mixer (See above, my grandmother’s potato smasher with a wooden handle)
- Leave the peel on the potatoes
- Season with plenty of salt and black pepper to your taste
While Yukon golds or russets will be creamier, these red potatoes produce a chunkier rustic dish. And these garlic mashed red potatoes will hold their own to any hearty main dishes, such as a prime rib, a pot roast or baked ham.
So you need to make a bowl of these comfort mashed potatoes to fill in all your food groups each and every day!
If you enjoy this red skin mashed potato recipe then see these:
- Easy Cheddar Bacon Potato Skins
- Best Baked Jacket Potato Ever
- Mashed Potato Patties
- Garlic Mashed Potato Casserole
How to make Garlic Mashed Red Skinned Potatoes
- Potato Masher
- Slice off the very top of the garlic bulb and place it on a square piece of foil or use a (garlic baker). Drizzle garlic bulb with olive oil and wrap securely, Bake in a 425-degree oven for about 35 minutes until soft. Remove from oven and carefully unwrap.
- While garlic is cooking, wash and scrub potatoes well, chop into quarters.
- Put the quartered potatoes into a large pot, cover them with cold water, and add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and replace them back into the pot. Cover with a clean dish towel to keep warm.
- Place heavy whipping cream, and butter into a small saucepan and heat just until butter is melting, remove from heat.
- Remove the meat of the garlic by carefully pressing on the bottom of each clove to push it out of its paper and place them in a small bowl, mash using a dinner fork.
- Add cream butter mixture and mashed garlic to potatoes and mash gently using a hand potato masher
- Add salt and pepper to taste and spoon into a large serving bowl, top with chopped chives and serve immediately.