What is a Jacket Potato?
A jacket potato is a potato that has been baked with crispy skin but is still moist and fluffy inside. Any baked potato can have that moist fluffy interior but it takes a few tricks to obtain that crisp skin. But by adding a few steps, you too can produce the best jacket potato.
How do bake a Jacket Potato:
We do love a great baked potato, I mean not a throw it in the microwave baked potato. But a come out of the oven with seasoned skin and fluffy on the inside baked potato. But if you really wish to have a delicious seasoned baked potato, the oven has to come into play. We set our oven temperature at 425 degrees F and bake our jacket potatoes for about 60 minutes checking the last 10 minutes or so.
What are some Jacket Potato Toppings:
Jacket potato toppings can be just plain salt, pepper and butter or be more adventurous. Explore Jacket Potato Toppings such as bacon, broccoli, and cheddar, shredded bbq meat, cream cheese, gorgonzola, chile or any cheese.
How to do make Seasoned Baked Potatoes:
We wish for our seasoned potatoes to have that crisp skin of a jacket potato. So we have to season it without breaking the skin. We do two things, first, we place our potatoes in a brine of salt and water and second we roll them in a mixture of seasonings such as black pepper, seasoned salt, and garlic powder.
This is my all-time very favorite baked potato, in fact, we do not have baked potatoes any other way. It has so much flavor and I even eat the peel, which I never do in restaurants. It just takes a little planning ahead to have the best baked potato or best jacket potato and that’s it. Ok, that’s not it, it involves a simple salted brine and a little patience. But you will be glad you took the time.
How do you bake a potato for the Best Baked Jacket potatoes:
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Scroll down for Printable Recipe
Start your baked jacket potatoes by choosing two large russet potatoes. Using a potato scrubber or scrub brush, scrub the potatoes under running water until very clean. Place in a large bowl or pot, the container should be deep enough to cover the potatoes with water.
Completely cover the jacket potatoes with water and sprinkle in 1/4 cup of kosher salt. Stir to combine and allow to brine for at least 4 hours.
While potatoes are brinning measure out 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, seasoned salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Pour into a gallon-size ziplock baggie, seal and shake to mix thoroughly.
Remove the potatoes from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Do not puncture any holes in the potatoes because we wish to keep all the steam and moisture in these baked jacket potatoes. Rub the potatoes with olive oil and place the potatoes inside the ziplock bag and seal.
Shake the bag making sure the potatoes are completely covered with the seasonings. Place the seasoned potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in preheated 425-degree F. oven for about 60 minutes.
These seasoned baked potatoes are just the best baked jacket potatoes with crispy skin and moist and fluffy inside.
Serve these baked jacket potatoes with plenty of butter and chives or any other toppings you choose.
You might also enjoy these Other Potato Recipes:
- Fried Mashed Potato Patties
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup in a Slow Cooker
Click HERE to save this best jacket potato recipe to Pinterest
Best Jacket Potatoes
- Place in pot, bowl or whatever you wish that is big enough to hold the potatoes and cover with water and add kosher salt to make a brine.
- Leave the potatoes in the brine for at least 4 hours or more if you can.
- Meanwhile measure seasoned salt, garlic, powder, and black pepper in a large ziplock baggie and mix well
- Remove Potatoes from brine, pat dry with paper towels. Rub the potatoes with olive oil.
- Place the potatoes in the ziplock baggie with the seasonings. Seal and shake well to coat the entire potato with the seasonings.
- Remove the potatoes from the bag and place on baking sheet
- Do NOT puncture any holes in the potatoes. If the steam stays in the potato, it will be moist and delicious.
- Bake in a preheated 420 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, and the skin should be crisp and very seasoned, and the inside (meat) of the potato is moist and fluffy.
- Split the top of the potato and add toppings such as butter, chives or sour cream