I’m a Front Porch kinda gal. I love old wooden, shady front porches with rocking chairs, wooden tables, and a few bric-a-bracks. A front porch that beckons one to slow down and just enjoy the moment.
We grew up in a time where everyone sat on their front porch after dinner. Kids played in the neighborhood until the street lights came on and parents would talk quietly in the dusk. My parents did and my grandparents did and now I do.
My mother was raised in rural Arkansas where my grandfather had a farm and lived in an old farmhouse without even running water. He had money to install plumbing but he didn’t see a need because he had always lived without running water. When we would visit the farm, we would sit outside on the front porch and my uncles and my mom’s cousins would tell big stories. The adults would sit in rocking chairs or other comfortable durable chairs and we kids would sit on the steps and listen. We got to know all those stories by heart. And when I’m sitting outside I can still hear all those loving voices and hear all the laughter. Maybe that’s why I love sitting outside in the evening on the front porch and looking out across the fields.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
The front porch in the evening is a nostalgic time and place for me. And I wish to recreate that warm feeling for my grandchildren here on the Ranch. Our front porch will look out across our front 60-acre pasture where the cows are grazing and the wind is blowing through the cottonwood trees.
I say will because our front porch is in the construction phase. We are adding a 10′ by 73′ front porch by ourselves. The hubby is pretty picky about the construction so he does things himself. We are fortunate because we do work very well together and we are able to accomplish so much just the two of us. Sometimes if you throw in another helper, we stumble.
If you enjoy Front Porch Ideas See Also:
- Backyard and Garden Projects
- Farmhouse Decor on a Budget
- Mason Jar Bird Feeder
- Fairy Horseshoe Door
- Mason Jar Solar Lights
- DIY Vintage Farmhouse Decor Ideas
Sites we love to find Vintage and Farmhouse Decor
- Antique Farmhouse- is one of our favorite sites to look for decorations, furnishings, or items that bring on the nostalgia of country life. And these can create the feel and personality of our front porch.
- Decor Steals have daily specials, they call them “steals” of reproduced vintage items. And We have purchased several items on there, it’s one of our favorite sites. But remember if you see something you like, grab it because these items usually sell out quickly. It’s a great site to visit to help with fulfilling the dream of an inviting front porch.
As we are building, I am imagining how to decorate a porch that is inviting and enticing. I know generally what I want but I decided to start scanning the internet for great ideas for front porches.
Front Porch Decorating Ideas Starts Now:
Don’t forget to Pin these Front Porch Ideas to save for later: