We are pulling out all our Summer Squash Recipes so we can make the most of our garden right now. One of our favorites is this Squash Casserole with Green Chile.
We have yellow squash coming out of our ears right now from our garden. And this Squash Casserole with Green Chile is our all-time favorite of all our summer squash recipes. It has the perfect balance of flavor and is one great way to make the most out of our fresh yellow squash.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
This amazing Squash casserole is loaded with cheeses and green chile. And it’s topped with a breadcrumb parmesan cheese crumble. It’s out of this world delicious. Even some of your picky eaters might ask for a second helping of this Squash Casserole.
Start off by thinly slicing 6 medium yellow squash and 1 large yellow onion. Heat butter in a large skillet or wok and saute the yellow squash and the onion slices until the onions are translucent.
Add the cooked squash and onions into a large mixing bowl. Then add the green chiles, cheeses, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Gently mix until well combined and pour into a 2-quart baking dish that’s been lightly oiled.
Mix the Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and 1 tbsp melted butter in a small dish. Then sprinkle the crumb mixture on top of this casserole.
Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes until the topping is golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes prior to serving. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
We are thinking about making a few of these squash casseroles and freezing them. We love freezer meals and having a vegetable casserole in the freezer would be a treat this winter when the garden is gone. A bubbling pan of summer squash would go well with our Thanksgiving Turkey or our Christmas Baked Ham with Pineapple Glaze.
Other Summer Squash Recipes:
- Low Carb Rich Zucchini Lasagna
- A collection of 31 of the Best Zucchini Recipes
- Parmesan Zucchini Chips
- Zucchini Tots
Click HERE to save this casserole with green chiles to Pinterest
How to Make the Best Squash Casserole with Green Chile-Summer Squash Recipes
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt butter in a large skillet or wok over medium heat
- Add squash and onions, saute' until onions are translucent
- Place cooked squash and onions in a large mixing bowl, add cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, sour cream, green chiles, salt and pepper
- Gently mix until well combine
- Pour the ingredients into a lightly oiled 2-quart baking dish ( or it can be sprayed with a cooking spray)
- Mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and 1 tbsp melted butter in a small dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture on top of the casserole
- Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes until golden
- Remove from oven, let cool 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley