This Classic Chunky Beef Stew is on the top of our hearty wintertime supper list. We didn’t use plain stew meat. Instead, we cut up a beef chuck roast into 1 1/2 inch chunky cubes for a rich and satisfying meal.
I know people that live in the North make fun of us down here in the South about being sissies when it comes to cooler weather. Most of it is well deserved. Because if the weather gets below 55 degrees F, we bring out the slow cookers, dutch ovens and our stew, soup, and chili recipes. We start lighting fires in the fireplace and take pajama days. We are sun worshippers and actually, love the sunshine and the heat here in Texas and whine about the cold. I guess that does make us cold weather sissies.
Because it is a little further North than where I have spent most of my life, it does get colder here at the Ranch. The Big Open Plains are just north of us and in the winter the wind blows out of the North. And I swear there is nothing between us the North Pole except a barb wire fence. The cold wind goes right into my bones and freezes me from the inside out.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Hearty Beef Stew:
One of the best ways to thaw out those frozen bones is a belly full of chunky beef stew. And this Chunky Beef stew recipe can either be made on the stove or in a slow cooker and feeds up to six people. It is a warm bowl of comfort on these cold winter days here on the Ranch. Also see our Green Chile Pork Stew recipe.
This Chunky Beef Stew is great served with:
Click HERE to save this Hearty Stew to Pinterest
Chunky Beef Stew
- 2 1/2 to 3 lb boneless beef chuck roast cut into hearty 1 1/2 inch cubes
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 5 cups beef broth
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven, lightly salt and pepper beef cubes and place in hot oil, stir until beef cubes are brown and fluids have evaporated
- Add parsley flakes, onion powder, paprika, and black pepper to the browned beef cubes, stir well
- Pour 3 cups of the beef broth over seasoned beef cubes
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to a simmer, simmer for 30 minutes
- Add remaining beef broth and onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes
- Bring to a boil and turn heat down to a simmer, cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes. Stew should be a little thick but water or additional beef broth can be added if needed.