What is Ghee you ask? Why do I need Ghee in my life? And where do you buy Ghee? Or Can I save money by making Ghee myself? We will answer all four questions here today and share our love of Ghee or Clarified Butter and why we love making Ghee at home.
First of all, let’s talk about what Ghee is. We have just recently discovered this beautiful alternative to whole milk butter when we started on a healthier lifestyle with the Whole 30 plan. Since dairy is not allowed on Whole 30 or Paleo Eating Plans, we needed to learn about Clarified Butter and Ghee.
Pour Ghee into the cheesecloth covered bowl, stopping before getting to the milk fats on the bottom.
Ghee is one of the tools on how I lost 20lbs in 3 months. Read about it here.
How to save money by making Ghee
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- Heat the butter on medium-low heat in a small saucepan until it starts to bubble.
- As the whey comes to the top, skim off with a spoon (discard the whey)
- a. When the milk fats sink to the bottom, remove from heat for clarified butter b. For Ghee continue to cook until the milk fats turn a golden brown
- Cover a small or medium mixing bowl with cheesecloth
- Slowly and carefully pour butter into the bowl allowing the cheesecloth to strain out the milk fats. Stop pouring when you get to the milkfats and discard the milkfats.
- Pour into a covered container or a small mason jar and allow to cool
- Store at room temperature or in refrigerator
Other Flavorful Recipes:
Love Cast Iron?
Join us and receive "How to Season and Care for Cast Iron" ebook and weekly email newlestters to what's cooking at the Ranch.