This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Salsa is one of life’s great creations in my house, it’s the perfect seasoning for just about everything we eat. We love it on eggs in the morning, with our burger at lunch, a seasoning for dinner or as an appetizer for drinks on the patio.
We have been trying to make the perfect salsa for years but something is always not quite right. This flavorful authentic salsa recipe was given to us by an amazing Mexican mama and has the flavor and heat that we have always loved.
And she taught us how to roast jalapeños and that has made a world of difference in this recipe. We made our friend’s mama’s amazing salsa and the flavor was amazing. Who knew that roasted jalapeños would such make a world of difference? And we believe this roasted jalapeño salsa is the best we have ever tried to make.
Tip: Pair this authentic salsa recipe with some healthier baked tortilla chips and enjoy this pleasure without the guilt of wrecking your diet.
How to Roast Jalapeños for this Authentic Salsa Recipe:
You may wish to use gloves when handling spicy peppers or if not be sure and wash hands with soap and water afterward. And if you are roasting inside, you might wish to turn on the exhaust fans.
Start by placing fresh jalapeños in a cast-iron skillet or on a comal over medium-high heat. Or you could also use an outside grill or a stovetop grill. Continue to turn and roast until all the skin of the roasted jalapenos is charred.
Use a bacon press to press the jalapeno down to ensure all the pepper makes contact with the comal for even roasting. Remove from heat and place in a brown paper bag for just a few minutes to steam. Remove the jalapeños from the bag and remove the blacken peels. These roasted jalapeños have a great smoky taste, and they have all the flavor we love. Use these steps on how to roast jalapeños and to make a chunky salsa.
How to make this authentic salsa recipe or chunky salsa:
Scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can Rotel
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 2 fresh jalapenos
- clove minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
Serve this Roasted Jalapeno Salsa with:
This salsa can be served with chips or in any of these recipes or any of your Mexican dishes
CLICK HERE TO SAVE THIS AUTHENTIC SALSA RECIPE TO PINTEREST
Authentic Salsa Recipe
For the Salsa
For the Salsa
- While the jalapeños are still hot, seal them in in a brown paper bag for just a few minutes to steam. Remove from bag and remove all the blackened peel and cut off the stem area. (you may wish to use gloves when handling spicy peppers)
- Place jalapeños and all other ingredients in a food processor or blender blend all ingredients to the desired consistency. If you would like chunky salsa, use the pulse button and turn it on several times until it's left chunky.
For the Baked Tortilla Chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a cookie sheet with the cooking spray
- Place tortilla fourths in a single layer on sheet, spray the tops of the chips and salt to taste.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes turning the chips about halfway through. Bake until crisp
Love Cast Iron?
Join us and receive "How to Season and Care for Cast Iron" ebook and weekly email newlestters to what's cooking at the Ranch.