This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Salsa is one of life’s great creations in my house, it’s the perfect seasoning for just about everything we eat. We love it on eggs in the morning, with our burger at lunch, a seasoning for dinner or as an appetizer for drinks on the patio.
We have been trying to make the perfect salsa for years but something is always not quite right. But today, we tried a little trick a sweet Mexican mama gave us and the flavor was amazing. This authentic Mexican salsa recipe is the best I ever tried to make. Who knew that I had been leaving out one step, roasting the jalapeños and it would make a world of difference.
Pair it with some healthier baked tortilla chips and enjoy this pleasure without the guilt or wrecking your diet.
How to Roast Jalapeños for this Authentic Mexican Salsa Recipe:
Place fresh jalapeños on a grill on med-high heat (I sometimes use a stovetop grill or comal) and continue to turn until all sides are charred. Place in a brown paper bag for just a few minutes to steam. Remove the jalapeños from the bag and remove the blacken peels. Roasting the jalapeños gives the peppers a great smoky flavor, This salsa can be used in all your Mexican dishes or just as an accompaniment.
Authentic Mexican Salsa Recipe
For the Salsa
For the Salsa
- While the jalapeños are still hot, seal them in in a brown paper bag for just a few minutes to steam. Remove from bag and remove all the blackened peel and cut off the stem area. (you may wish to use gloves when handling spicy peppers)
- Place jalapeños and all other ingredients in a food processor or blender blend all ingredients to the desired consistency.
For the Baked Tortilla Chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a cookie sheet with the cooking spray
- Place tortilla fourths in a single layer on sheet, spray the tops of the chips and salt to taste.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes turning the chips about half way through. Bake until crisp
Love Cast Iron?
Join us and receive "How to Season and Care for Cast Iron" ebook and weekly email newlestters to what's cooking at the Ranch.