Why is this southern cake recipe called a hummingbird cake?
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
What is an Old Fashioned Hummingbird Cake
It’s a Southern cake recipe that is filled with pineapple, bananas, cinnamon, and pecans. It’s covered with a cream cheese frosting and topped with crushed pecans. We always feel like it’s a spring cake since like hummingbirds it shows up at our home around Easter.
If you enjoy this old fashioned hummingbird cake recipe then see these:
- Caramelized Pear and Pecan Topping over Cheesecake
- Dutch Oven Texas Peach Cobbler
- Knock You Naked Cake
Click HERE to save this old fashioned cake recipe to Pinterest
For the Cake
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour three 9 inch cake pans.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and oil, mix until well combined. (do not beat)
- Stir in the vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup of the chopped pecans and the bananas.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool pans on wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Spread cream cheese frosting between the layers and on top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
For the Frosting
- Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy smooth
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy then mix in vanilla