Make meringue lollipops aka patriotic pops using an easy basic meringue recipe. Serve these easy meringue pops at your 4th of July celebration for the cutest patriotic snacks.
We have been using a basic meringue recipe for topping pies for years but not for meringue pops. The recipe and instructions for this meringue lollipops were so interesting so we knew we just had to try them.
And we love celebrating this country’s holidays with patriotic snacks and drinks so making these patriotic pops were a given.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
These patriotic snacks will take a bit of time but they are fairly easy. And this basic meringue recipe makes 24 meringue pops so you will have enough to treat all the neighbor kids.
How to make Meringue Lollipops or Meringue Pops:
Scroll down for printable instructions
What you will need to make these cute patriotic pops is:
- Egg whites of 4 eggs, room temperature
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Blue gel food coloring
- Red sprinkles
- Blue sprinkles
- 24 lollipop sticks
- Piping Bag with #1M icing tip
Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper and spread out 12 lollipop sticks on each one. Set pans aside.
Separate the egg yolks for the whites using the shells or an egg separator. But be careful and do not allow any yolks in the whites. Pour into a mixing bowl and add lemon juice, whip on low speed
Slowly add granulated sugar and increase speed to high for 10-15 minutes until stiff peaks form. Add blue food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
Scoop the blue meringue into a piping bag with a #1M tip attached. On your lined baking sheet, pipe out the meringue directly onto the pop sticks in a back and forth motion. Cover about 1/4 of the tip of the stick.
Sprinkle the meringue lollipops with red and blue sprinkles. Place in a preheated 200-degree oven for 2 hours. After you have finished baking the pops, do not remove them from the oven, turn the oven off and leave them in the oven for 35 minutes. Then remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before picking them up.
We hope you enjoy these Meringue Lollipops and have a happy and safe 4th of July. But remember you could use a different gel color and make these for other holidays like Valentines Day, Easter, or Halloween.
Other Patriotic Snacks:
Patriotic Meringue Lollipops
- stand mixer
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and place 12 lollipop sticks on top. Set aside.
- Using a stand electric mixer, start beating egg whites and lemon juice on low speed.
- Slowly add granulated sugar and increase speed to high. Continue to mix for 10 - 15 minutes, until mixture is white and forms stiff peaks.
- Color the meringue with blue gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
- On your lined baking sheet, pipe out meringue directly on lollipop sticks, in a back and forth motion, covering about ¼ of the lollipop stick.
- Top off each piped-out meringue with red and blue sprinkles.
- Bake for 2 hours. Once 2 hours is up, turn off the heat and leave in the oven for another 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Love Cast Iron?
Join us and receive "How to Season and Care for Cast Iron" ebook and weekly email newlestters to what's cooking at the Ranch.