This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might recipe a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Did you know that a Taco Salad from most Mexican Food Restaurants has almost 1200 calories? Of course, that deliciously fried taco shell probably adds much. But we have a better idea to enjoy the best tacos salad but we are topping it with baked tortilla strips.
How to Make Skinny Taco Salad:
Start your Skinny Taco salad by browning ground beef in a large skillet. We love using this Mix N’ Chop to break up the meat as it’s cooking. It makes it so much quicker and easier. Drain and place back in the skillet, add taco seasoning and water and cook until water is evaporated. Remove from heat.
Remove from oven and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel. These will add a delicious flavor to our Mexican taco salad.
Taco Salad Toppings:
Top this skinny taco salad with the strips and low-fat cheese blend. Serve with low-fat ranch dressing, chopped green chile or salsa if you desire. These Taco Salad toppings add all the flavor needed to make you forget that you are eating a little healthier!
Skinny Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean ground beef 98 % fat free
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning or use our homemade taco seasoning
- 8 corn tortillas
- olive oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 head romaine or iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 14 oz can whole corn drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 4 oz low-fat grated cheddar cheese or Mexican Blend
- 505 chopped green chile optional
- Salsa Optional
- Low-Calorie Ranch Dressing optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Brown ground beef with the onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, drain fat (if any). Using a Mix n' Chop to break up ground beef as it's cooking makes it easier.
- Add the taco seasoning with 1/3 cup of water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, using a pizza cutter slice the tortillas in half. Then cut into strips in the opposite direction
- Place the tortilla strips on a cooking sheet, spray or drizzle with olive oil, Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for 4 minutes, turn each strip over and bake for about 3 minutes longer watching carefully not to burn. Remove from oven.
- Place lettuce on a plate and add the taco meat to the center, sprinkle on corn and black beans.
- Add chopped tomatoes and avocado on top and sprinkle with cheese
- Top with tortilla strips and serve with green chile or salsa or even a low-calorie dressing (but beware of added sugar or fat with bottled dressings)