Make a Skinny Taco Salad with baked tortilla strips. This taco salad plate is a no shell taco salad. Enjoy a Mexican Salad bowl with fewer carbs and fats.
Eating healthy should be easy, delicious and pleasing not to the eye but to the palate. We are sure you are like us and don’t wish to give up the foods you love to be healthier. This skinny taco salad is gorgeous and has an abundance of flavor but without the fat and calories. This Mexican Salad bowl does away with shell and adds tortilla strips on top.
Did you know that a taco salad from most Mexican Food Restaurants has almost 1200 calories? Of course, that deliciously fried taco shell probably adds most of it. But we have a better idea to enjoy the best taco salad but we are topping it with baked tortilla strips. This skinny no shell taco salad is healthier than the original and we believe is one of the best taco salad recipes. This taco salad plate has baked tortilla strips, avocado, low-fat cheese, black beans and salsa.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might recipe a small commission at no additional cost to you.
How to Make Skinny Taco Salad:
Scroll down to see the Printable Recipe
Start your skinny taco salad by browning ground beef in a large skillet. (This Mix N’ Chop makes cooking ground beef easier to break up the meat as it is cooking). After browning, drain and place back in your skillet, add taco seasoning and water. Cook until the water is evaporated. Remove from heat.
How to make baked tortilla strips:
For your skinny taco salad, use bake tortilla strips in place of the fried taco shell.
Remove from your oven and drain on a plate line with a paper towel. These will add a crunchy topping the your Mexican taco salad.
Assembling your no shell taco salad:
Top this skinny taco salad with the baked tortillas strips and low-fat Mexican cheese blend. Serve with low-fat Ranch dressing, chopped green chile or salsa. These flavorful toppings on this Mexican salad bowl add all the flavor needed to make you forget you a eating a little healthier.
Click HERE to save this No Shell Taco Salad Plate to Pinterest
Skinny Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean ground beef 98 % fat free
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning or use our homemade taco seasoning
- 8 corn tortillas
- olive oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 head romaine or iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 14 oz can whole corn drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 4 oz low-fat grated cheddar cheese or Mexican Blend
- 505 chopped green chile optional
- Salsa Optional
- Low-Calorie Ranch Dressing optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Brown ground beef with the onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, drain fat (if any). Using a Mix n' Chop to break up the ground beef as it's cooking makes it easier.
- Add the taco seasoning with 1/3 cup of water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, using a pizza cutter slice the tortillas in half. Then cut into strips in the opposite direction
- Place the tortilla strips on a cooking sheet, spray or drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for 4 minutes, turn each strip over and bake for about 3 minutes longer watching carefully not to burn. Remove from the oven.
- Place lettuce on a plate and add the taco meat to the center, sprinkle on corn and black beans.
- Add chopped tomatoes and avocado on top and sprinkle with cheese
- Top with tortilla strips and serve with green chile or salsa or even a low-calorie dressing (but beware of added sugar or fat with bottled dressings)