Our Pineapple cupcakes are really mini pineapple upside down cakes. These Mini Upside Down Pineapple Cupcakes can easily be made by using a jumbo muffin tin.
My mother always made pineapple upside down cake in a cast-iron skillet. She made it from scratch when we were younger but after we were grown and left home, she would make her pineapple upside down cakes from a cake mix. I know it was easier for her but it just wasn’t the same. I understand we cook differently when it’s only the two of us.
But I went differently as all daughters seem to do. I decided to make mini pineapple upside down cakes in a muffin tin. This way we can have just a few of these pineapple cupcakes and share the others with neighbors if we so choose.
This post might contain affiliate links which means if you purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
How to make Pineapple Cupcakes or Mini Upside Down Pineapple Cakes:
Scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe
- 2- 2o oz. cans pineapple slices
- 1 jar of maraschino cherries
- 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
Cake batter Ingredients:
2 & 1/2 cups of All purpose flour
1 & 1/3 cups white sugar
2 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 & 1/4 cups milk
Special Equipment Needed:
- You can make individual mini upside-down pineapple cakes easily using these Jumbo Muffin Pans.
- Start your pineapple cupcakes by sprinkling a brown sugar and butter topping at the bottom of the muffin tin cups.
- Then lay your pineapple rings and cherries on top of the topping.
- Mix up the batter and pour on top of the pineapple rings.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 18-22 minutes and remove.
- Immediately flip the cupcakes onto a cooking sheet.
Serve these Mini Upside Down Pineapple Cakes with whipped topping or as it. Either way, you and your family will love this easy dessert idea.
Other Cupcake Recipes:
Click HERE to save these Pineapple Cupcakes to Pinterest
Mini Upside Down Pineapple Cupcakes
- Jumbo Muffin Tin
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray 2 jumbo muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the brown sugar and melted butter. Evenly divide sugar mixture into muffin tins. Add one pineapple slice and one maraschino cherry to each.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder, set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla and eggs mixing in between each egg addition. Slowly alternate adding flour mixture and milk, mixing well between each. Divide the cake batter evenly between the tins.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes until cake bottoms are golden and the cakes are cooked through. Once cooled, flip over the pans to remove your mini pineapple upside down cakes and serve.