Surprise your family with easy apple cinnamon cupcakes with cinnamon frosting. We have a step by step cinnamon cupcake recipe and a cinnamon buttercream frosting recipe that they will love. Perfect for your Fall dessert table.
It just seems that apples and cinnamon are a marriage made in heaven. There is a reason that we put cinnamon in about every baked apple pastry dish. It just works and works well. So we thought it would be fun and delicious to bring those amazing flavors together in this apple cinnamon cupcakes recipe. And we even continued the flavor by topping them with a homemade cinnamon frosting that we know you will love.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
This recipe for apple cinnamon cupcakes is made using chopped apple, sour cream. and seasoned with nutmeg and cinnamon. And they are moist, delicious and need to be on your dessert table this Fall.
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes
Scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe
Ingredients needed for the Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- one stick butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup a/p flour
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners and set aside and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and eggs until creamy. Add butter into sugar and egg mixture and beat some more. Add vanilla.
In a separate bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients one third at a time. Mix thoroughly.
Add sour cream and mix then aad apple cubes and fold into batter. Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into each muffin section. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool before decorating.
How to Make Cinnamon Buttercream frosting:
Ingredients for this cinnamon frosting:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together all ingredients. Start speed on low and gradually increase to high. Once all ingredients are smooth and well-combined, the cinnamon buttercream frosting is ready.
We hope you will love these cupcakes with the chunks of apple, sweet cinnamon, and nutmeg topped with this amazing cinnamon frosting.
Happy Fall Y’all!
Other Apple Recipes:
Click HERE to save this Apple Cinnamon Cupcake Recipe to Pinterest
Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes with Buttercream Cinnamon Frosting
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat with a mixer sugar and eggs until creamy.
- Add butter into sugar and egg mixture and beat some more. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients one third at a time. Mix thoroughly.
- Add sour cream and mix.
- Add apple cubes and fold into batter.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into each muffin section.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool before decorating.
- For the buttercream:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together all ingredients. Start speed on low and gradually increase to high.
- Once all ingredients are smooth and well-combined, the buttercream is ready.
- Frost each cupcake generously and sprinkle with brown sugar.