You just have to try this recipe for rocky road brownies. Or you might know them as Mississippi mud brownies. This is the ultimate rocky road recipe topped with a homemade chocolate ganache for brownies.
These brownies are made from scratch and then topped with mini marshmallows, pecans and a homemade chocolate ganache for brownies. These are also referred to as Mississippi Mud Brownies and they are rich and sinfully delicious.
What’s in this ultimate rocky road recipe:
- 4 oz baking chocolate (4 squares)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- ganache recipe below
How to make Rocky Road Brownies:
What’s in chocolate ganache:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar, as needed
- 4-6 Tablespoons cocoa powder, as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Make Ganache for Brownies:
Other Bar or Brownie Recipes:
- Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies
- Maple Walnut Blondies with White Chocolate Chips
- Frosted Banana Bars
Click HERE to Save these Rocky Road Brownies to Pinterest
Rocky Road Brownies
For the Brownies
For the Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and grease a 9″ x 9″ baking dish and set aside.
- Place the baking chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds, stir well, and reheat again as needed, stirring between each reheating.
- Whisk the butter and chocolate mixture until completely smooth. Then break your eggs in a separate bowl and add to the mixture. Whip well.
- Whisk in the sugar and again whip well. Add the flour and mix until thoroughly combined and there are no dry ingredients showing.
- Pour the brownie batter into your prepared 9 X 9 baking dish. And place in preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached.
- Remove from oven and place on a trivet or cooling rack.
- Place the pecans on a baking dish and toast in the oven for 5 minutes until fragrant. Scatter the mini marshmallows and toasted pecans on top of the brownies.
For the Ganache
- Combine the butter, milk, 4 Tablespoons of cocoa powder and 4 cups of the powdered sugar in a large saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil for 4-5 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Taste and adjust with additional cocoa powder and sugar, if desired. Pour the hot ganache over the brownies.
- Let the ganache set for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight before attempting to cut the brownies. Cut into 9 Rocky Road brownies.