Use this traditional cornbread recipe for a moist cornbread like grandma made. It’s an old fashioned cornbread recipe made in a 13 x 9 pan using yellow cornmeal.
How to Make Old Fashioned Cornbread
Scroll down for the Printable Recipe
Traditional Cornbread Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients, starting from the middle of the bowl until everything is well-mixed and no dry spots remain.
This an old fashioned cornbread recipe for a bigger pan because mom always made extra because Dad used to eat the leftovers. The next day he crumbled it in a cold glass of milk, it was like dessert to him. And we always use this traditional cornbread recipe for our amazing Cornbread Dressing or Stuffing at Thanksgiving. Isn’t it crazy how traditional cornbread tastes better than it did when we were kids and had it every day?
Serve this Traditional Cornbread Recipe with:
Click HERE to save this Cornbread Recipe to Pinterest
Traditional Cornbread Recipe
- Heat your oven to 400° F and grease or spray a 9 X 13 pan with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the cornmeal and flour. then add in the sugar, baking powder and salt to the flour/cornmeal mixture.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add in the melted butter, milk and the eggs.
- Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients, starting from the middle of the bowl until everything is well-mixed and no dry spots remain.
- Pour the cornbread batter into your prepared pan and place in your preheated 400° F for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cut into 15 squares and serve
Post updated on 09/10/2020