Cornbread Chili Pie or as most southerns call it Corn Pone Pie. It’s chili topped with cornbread and baked in a cast iron skillet. This Chili Cornbread Casserole is down-home comfort food.
I was thumbing thru some of my recipes collected over the years and I came across this recipe for Cornbread Chili Pie and then noticed it was my Aunt Erma’s recipe. Aunt Erma was a true Arkansas farm wife, she quilted, crocheted, knitted and canned a garden full of vegetables every year. My Uncle Robert and she had a two or three-acre garden and it was loaded with everything from blueberries to zucchini.
I remember she made my mother an Alzheimer’s lap quilt. It was a small quilt with squares of different fabrics and textures that helped keep anxious Alzheimer’s hands busy. That what’s strong women do, they don’t whine or feel sorry for anyone, they found a need and fill it. Aunt Erma was an amazing and talented lady and her Cornbread Chili Pie finds your need and fills it with comfort.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
This Corn Bread Chili Pie is not picture perfect but like us, it doesn’t have to be. It’s a delicious chili cornbread casserole that is baked with love and filled with comfort. And its one of our favorite down-home comfort foods baked in a cast iron skillet.
Cornbread Chili Pie Recipe:
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 15 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 ounce can Ranch Style Red Beans
- black pepper
Ingredients for Corn Bread Topping:
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- ½ cup milk
How to make a Southern Corn Bread Chili Pie:
Other Down Home Comfort Food:
- Chicken and Dumplings in a Slow Cooker
- Michelle’s Taco Soup
- Stuffed Shells
- Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Campbells chicken pot pie
Click HERE to save this Chili Cornbread pie to Pinterest
- Add the ground beef and chopped onions in a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Cook and break up the meat as it browns.
- Continue to cook until the ground beef is browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, chile powder, and beans to the browned beef reduce heat and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- As the chili is simmering preheat the oven to 375° F and start mixing the cornbread. Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, melted butter and milk to the cornbread dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour cornbread mixture over the meat mixture and gently (if needed) spread to the edges of the skillet. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Bake the Cornbread Chili Pie until cornbread is golden brown and firm. The chili may bubbly up around the edges and that’s just fine. Cut into 6 slices, top with jalapeño slices, (optional) and serve.