Cornpone Pie is a Southern version of a Cornbread Chili Pie. Chili topped with cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet for an easy Chili Cornbread Casserole. This chili cornbread pie is down-home comfort food.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
I was thumbing thru some of my recipes collected over the years and I came across this recipe for Corn Pone Pie and then noticed it was my Aunt Erma’s recipe. Aunt Erma was an amazing and talented lady, she quilted, crocheted, knitted and canned a garden full of vegetables every year. My Uncle Robert and she had a two or three-acre garden and it was loaded with everything from blueberries to zucchini.
A true Arkansas farm wife. I remember she made my mother an Alzheimer’s lap quilt. It was a little quilt with squares of different fabrics and textures that helped keep anxious Alzheimer’s hands busy. That what’s strong women did, they didn’t whine or feel sorry for anyone, they found a need and filled it. And so does this Corn Pone Pie, it finds your need and fills it with comfort.
This Cornpone pie is not picture perfect but like us, it doesn’t have to be. It’s a delicious chili cornbread pie that is baked with love and filled with comfort. And its one of our favorite Down-home comfort food chili cornbread casserole baked in a cast iron skillet.
- Brown hamburger meat and onion in a 10 inch cast iron skillet on medium heat
- Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, chile powder, salt and pepper
- Cook for 15-20 minutes then add beans with juice, reduce heat
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Mix together the cornbread ingredients
- Pour cornbread mix over the meat mixture and gently (if needed) spread to the edges of the skillet.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes
If you like this Cornpone Pie or Chili Cornbread pie then: