How to make Stromboli using our homemade dough. This Italian Stromboli recipe makes a delicious pizza Stromboli using your choice of toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
I remember years ago when I lived in California, one of my friends flew with her new boyfriend to New York to visit his Italian family. She returned and told us about the most awesome loaf of bread that his mother had made that was filled with Italian red sauce, meats, and cheeses. Immediately I began searching for this dreamy loaf and that’s how I discovered how to make Stromboli. I know, I was a little late on the whole Stromboli scene, in fact, at that time I was limited to the entire Italian food scene. Italian recipes were missing from my childhood not having any Italian food restaurants or friends in the small West Texas town where I grew up.
We grew up with southern food and Mexican food but Italian food was limited to spaghetti or pizza. Now even though I still love Mexican food, my first choice is Italian.
What you will need to make Homemade Stromboli:
This Italian Stromboli is made from my Homemade dough recipe. This Stromboli Dough recipe makes enough dough for two pizza Stromboli loaves. So you can either make two loaves or wrap the other half in clear wrap and save it in the fridge for a couple of days for a quick pizza.
You will also need a homemade pizza sauce, or you could use a jar sauce but this recipe for homemade is easier, cheaper and can be whipped up in minutes and has awesome flavors.
How to Make Stromboli
Scroll down for the printable recipe and instructions
What is the difference between homemade Stromboli and calzones or pizza? It’s entirely the shape. Instead of rolling the dough into a round circle, Stromboli dough is rolled it into a rectangle. Then it is covered in sauce, toppings, and cheese. And then the entire dough loaded with goodies is rolled into a log and baked.
And this Pizza Stromboli is totally on the menu this weekend and I am also thinking about making another one with basil pesto instead of the red pizza sauce. We are still working on which other ingredients would be delish in it. So if you have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have.
If you enjoyed this Italian Stromboli Recipe then:
Click HERE to save this Homemade Stromboli recipe to Pinterest
Suggestions for toppings
- Pepperoni or ham thinly sliced
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese grated
- sliced black olives optional
- sliced onions optional
- sliced mushrooms optional
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees and line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper allowing the paper to extend over the long sides of the pan.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the homemade stromboli dough (remember it’s half of the recipe) into a large rectangle. (about the length of your sheet pan and about 3 inches wider)
- Using your rolling pin, lift the rectangle of dough onto the sheet pan, allowing about two inches to extend over on one side and the other 1 inch on the other side.
- Spread some of the Italian sauce in a thin layer over the stromboli dough leaving a 1/2 inch border on the ends and a 1 inch on one of the longer sides and a 2-inch border on the other side. Pour the remaining sauce in a bowl for dipping.
- Sprinkle with 4 ounces of the grated mozzarella cheese and top with pepperoni and/or ham and the other toppings of your choice. Sprinkle with 4 more ounces mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and water together and brush the outer edges of the stromboli dough with this egg wash.
- Starting from the long side where you left the 1-inch border, use the parchment paper to roll the dough about 1/2 of the way. Grab the other side of the parchment paper and roll to fold it completely over. Make sure your seam is sealed by the egg wash, you can do this by pressing gently together. Then gently roll so the seam is on the bottom, tuck in the ends so the egg wash seals both ends. By gently using the parchment paper, position the Stromboli in the center of the pan.
- Brush the entire Stromboli with egg wash and make diagonal slits for venting.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake for 10-12 minutes checking often.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 1 to 2-inch strips.
- Serve with warmed Italian sauce for dipping.