How to make Stromboli using our homemade dough. This Italian Stromboli recipe makes a delicious pizza Stromboli using your choice of toppings.
I remember years ago when I lived in California, one of my friends flew with her new boyfriend to New York to visit his Italian family. She returned and told us about the most awesome loaf of bread that his mother had made that was filled with Italian red sauce, meats, and cheeses. Immediately I began searching for this dreamy loaf and that’s how I discovered how to make Italian Stromboli. I know, I was a little late on the whole Stromboli scene, in fact, at that time I was limited to the entire Italian food scene. Italian recipes were missing from my childhood not having any Italian food restaurants or friends in the small West Texas town where I grew up.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
What is the difference between Italian Stromboli and calzones or pizza? It’s entirely the shape. Instead of rolling the dough into a round circle, Stromboli dough is rolled it into a rectangle. Then it is covered in sauce, toppings, cheese and rolled into a log and baked.
And this Pizza Stromboli is totally on the menu this weekend and I am also thinking about making another one with basil pesto instead of the red pizza sauce. We are still working on which other ingredients would be delish in it. So if you have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know.
Italian Stromboli recipe:
- Pizza Dough
- Italian Pizza Sauce
- Pepperoni or ham
- 8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- Black Olives, sliced
- Mushrooms. sliced
- Red Onions, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Sheet Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry Mat
- Small Bowl
- You can make this Italian Stromboli using my Homemade dough recipe. This Stromboli Dough recipe makes enough dough for two pizza Stromboli loaves. So you can either make two loaves or wrap the other half in clear wrap and save it in the fridge for a couple of days for a quick pizza.
- You will also need a homemade pizza sauce, or you could use a jar sauce but this recipe for homemade is easier, cheaper and can be whipped up in minutes and has awesome flavors.
How to make Italian Stromboli:
Other Italian Dishes:
Click HERE to save this Italian Stromboli recipe to Pinterest
Italian Stromboli recipe
- 1 13.8 ounce Pizza dough
- 1 15 ounce Italian pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Suggestions for toppings
- 8 ounces Pepperoni or ham, salami, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese grated
- sliced black olives optional
- sliced onions optional
- sliced mushrooms optional
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. And line a a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper allowing the paper to extend over the long sides of the pan. Lightly flour the paper and roll the dough into a large rectangle approximately 10 by 15 inches.
- Spread some of the Italian pizza sauce in a thin layer over the Stromboli dough leaving a 1/2 inch border on the ends and a 1 inch on one of the longer sides and a 2-inch border on the other side. Pour the remaining sauce in a bowl for dipping
- Top with pepperoni, ham or salami and the other toppings of your choice. Evenly top with with the shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and water together and brush the outer edges of the Stromboli dough with the egg wash. Starting from the long side where you left the 1-inch border, use the parchment paper to roll the dough about 1/2 of the way. Grab the other side of the parchment paper and roll to fold it completely over. Make sure your seam is sealed by the egg wash, you can do this by pressing gently together.
- Then gently roll so the seam is on the bottom, tuck in the ends so the egg wash seals both ends. Brush the entire Stromboli with egg wash and make diagonal slits for venting.
- Using the parchment paper, position the Stromboli in the center of the sheet pan.
- Place the sheet pan with the Stromboli in the preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 1 to 2-inch slices.
- Serve your Italian Stromboli with extra pizza sauce on the side for dipping and with a salad.
Updated on 05/04/2022