This is a make Ahead Mexican Breakfast Casserole with tortillas and is a spin-off of a Tex Mex Breakfast Casserole idea. It’s an easy Overnight Mexican Breakfast Casserole spiced up with both Hatch green chile and sliced jalapenos.
Overnight Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 3 teaspoons chile powder
- 1 1/2 cup hatch green chile chopped
- 17 oz jar or 505 green chile
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas cut into fourths
- sliced pickled jalapenos
- non-stick cooking spray
- 3 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Spray a 9 X 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions until the meat is brown and the onions are cooked. Add the chili powder stir to combine, and remove from heat.
- Layer 1/2 cup of the green chile (or 505 if using) sprinkle on 1/3 cup of the sausage mixture and cover with 1/2 of the cut corn tortilla pieces. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over top.
- Repeat step 3 then finished casserole with the last third of the sausage and 1/2 cup of green chile. Top with 1 cup of cheese.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gently pour over casserole evenly covering the entire dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for 6 hours. Before baking remove from fridge and let come to room temperature about 1 hour.
- Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 80 minutes. Cover with foil the last 30 minutes to prevent the casserole from becoming over browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
If you enjoyed this Mexican Breakfast Casserole then:
Love Cast Iron?
Join us and receive "How to Season and Care for Cast Iron" ebook and weekly email newlestters to what's cooking at the Ranch.