This Roast pumpkin soup is made from a creamy pumpkin soup recipe. You can serve this classic pumpkin soup with bacon and green onions.
This roast pumpkin soup is made from freshly roasted pumpkins. We use our jack o lanterns and sometimes buy extra pumpkins this time of the year. We then roasted them to make amazing roasted pumpkin puree. And if you would like to roast your pumpkins HERE are all the easy instructions. This creamy pumpkin soup recipe is loaded with layers of amazing flavors.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
This is a classic pumpkin soup but with a spicy flare with the addition of Louisiana Hot Sauce. But you can control the amount of spiciness or heat by adding more or less of the hot sauce. And this soup also contains a couple of tablespoons of bourbon which could be optional but it really adds a unique flavor that we love.
How to make roast pumpkin soup:
Scroll down for the Printable recipe
- 1 medium chopped white onion (about 1 cup)
- a clove of minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp bourbon, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Marjoram
- 2 cups of roasted pumpkin (or one 15 oz can of pumpkin puree)
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco, more or less to taste
- 1 14.5 oz can of chicken broth
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onion tops, sliced
Add bourbon and bring to a boil and saute for a couple of minutes for the alcohol to cook off and leave the flavor. But be careful when cooking with alcohol, it will flame if in contact with an open flame.
Add a dash of salt and pepper to the soup, adjust for taste then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Enjoy this Classic Pumpkin Soup with a garnish of sliced green onion and crumbled bacon and with tabasco on the side.
If you enjoyed this Roast Pumpkin Soup with Bacon then:
Click HERE to save this Roast Pumpkin Soup to Pinterest
Roast Pumpkin Soup with Bacon
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Marjoram
- 2 cup roast pumpkin or 15 oz can of pure pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco more or less to taste
- 1 14.5 oz can Chicken broth
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 strips cooked bacon chopped or crumbled
- 2 green onion tops sliced
- Melt butter over medium heat in a dutch oven or large saucepan. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent, then add garlic and saute for 1 additional minute.
- Add bourbon and bring to a boil and saute for a couple of minutes for the alcohol to cook off and leave the flavor. But be careful when cooking with alcohol, it will flame if in contact with an open flame.
- Add your roast pumpkin (or canned pumpkin), chicken broth, and marjoram to the sauteed onion mixture.
- Add 1/2 tsp of Tabasco to this roast pumpkin soup but you could add more or less depending on your spiciness level. Then bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Using an immersible blender, puree soup until smooth or place in a blender in batches and puree until smooth
- Add whipping cream to soup in the dutch oven and return to a low simmer
- Add a dash of salt and pepper to the soup, adjust for taste then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of sliced green onion and crumbled bacon and Tabasco on the side