Southern fried salmon patties consists of canned salmon, green onions, chopped celery and seasoned with lemon juice and fried in butter. And they are absolutely the best salmon patties.
Salmon patties are a staple in the South that I grew up in. My mom would make the best salmons patties and I loved them. I didn’t realize then of the health benefits of fish, that was the last thing on my mind. The only thing I cared about was the deliciousness of these southern fried salmon patties.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Two of these patties contain more calcium than a glass of milk. And if these salmon patties are served with wild and brown rice and steamed vegetables, it makes them a very healthy meal. And this easy dish is a great go-to dinner when you have forgotten to thaw meat out that you have in your freezer. We always try to keep a couple of cans of pink salmon in the pantry for this awesome dish.
Southern Fried Salmon Patties Recipe:
- 2- 14.5 ounce cans pink salmon, drained and flaked
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups breads crumbs
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons, butter
- Lemon Wedges, optional
- Parchment Lined Sheet Pan
How to make Southern Fried Salmon Patties:
Start this recipe by opening the cans of salmon and removing the skin pieces and most of the bones. I know everyone tells me that the bones are cooked and can be crushed in the patty but I usually pull most of them out.
In a large bowl combine the salmon, eggs, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, onions, celery, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Scoop up 1/2 cup of the mixture and form into patties.
Place each salmon patty on a parchment-lined sheet pan that is sprinkled with breadcrumbs. Place the patty down and then turn them over to coat both sides with the breadcrumbs. This recipe will make 8 patties.
Heat the butter in a large skillet and fry 4 patties at a time until golden brown. Remove from skillet and allow to drain on a paper towel lined plate. Serve these Southern fried salmon patties garnished with lemon slices or wedges and sprinkles parsley or thyme.
Other Down Home Recipes:
Click Here to Save this Southern Fried Salmon Patty Recipe to Pinterest
Southern fried salmon patties
- Open the cans of salmon and remove the skins and most of the bones and drain off the juice.
- In a large bowl combine salmon, eggs, 1 cup of the breadcrumbs, green onions, celery, lemon juice, salt, and pepper
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs onto a parchment lined sheet pan
- Scoop up 1/2 cup of the fish mixture and form into a patty, place patty on the pan and turn to coat both sides with breadcrumbs
- Repeat until 8 patties are made
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook 4 of the patties in 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil for 8-10 minutes until golden brown, turning once.
- Serve garnished with lemon wedges and parsley or thyme, optional