This Green Chilli Chicken Recipe came from one of our hatch chili recipes and was originally made with pork. We exchanged the pork for chicken and added rice to make it into a Mexican chicken rice casserole that can also be an easy make-ahead dinner idea.
Green Chilli Chicken Recipe:
- 1 1/2lb of chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 package of brown ready rice or 1 1/2 cups of brown rice cooked according to package directions
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 oz of chopped green chile
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- corn tortillas, optional
How to make this Mexican chicken rice casserole:
Other Hatch Green Chile recipes:
Click HERE to save this Green Chilli Chicken Recipe to Pinterest
Green Chile Chicken Casserole
- 1 1/2 lb Chicken Breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package Uncle Bens Ready Brown Rice (or 1 1/2 cups of brown rice) cooked according to package directions
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 oz can green chile chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- corn or flour tortillas
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees. Then over medium-high heat in a dutch oven, brown chicken pieces in the olive oil until done and no longer pink. Remove the chicken and drain the oil if needed.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions and then return the chicken to the dutch oven and add all the ingredients except the cheese, tortillas.
- Gently blend and bring the mixture to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. Meanwhile, spray a 2.5-quart baking dish with a cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish. *See Note Sprinkle the cheese on top of this Chicken and Black Bean Casserole and bake for 5-10 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Spray a 2.5-quart baking dish with a cooking spray and pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- *Note: At this point, the dish can be covered and refrigerated. Prior to baking remove from fridge and let come to room temp. (and bake for an additional 10 minutes making it a total of 20 minutes, adding cheese last 5 minutes of baking)
- Serve with tortillas on the side and extra cheese if needed or wanted.