I had never made sweet potato pie before and since I had loads of sweet potatoes left from Thanksgiving, I thought I would give it a try.
Total success, I do believe I love it more than pumpkin pie!!
No canned ingredients here, just fresh sweet potatoes from now on!
Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 lbs of sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 eggs
- 1 12oz can of evaporated milk
- 16 or more pecan halves
- 2 pie crusts
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees
2.. Peel sweet potatoes, cube and place in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water and cook until fork tender
3.. Drain sweet potatoes and process in a food processor until completely mashed
4.. In a large bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon salt
5.. Add eggs and lightly beat them with a fork until incorporated into sweet potato mixture. Add the evaporated milk and mix well.
6. Pour into prepared pie shells and cover with a tents of aluminum foil, bake for for 50-60 minutes, removing foil for the last 10-15 minutes to brown crust.
7. Pies are done when knife, inserted off-center comes out clean.
8. While the pies are still hot, place pecan halves in a decorative manner on top of pies