Baja California fish tacos are breaded fish tacos with a creamy chipotle sauce and topped with pico. These Baja tacos are amazing with our homemade Baja sauce recipe.
But then several deputies that I worked with returned from fishing in the Sea of Cortez in Mexico and hosted a fish fry featuring fresh fish Baja tacos. I was actually brave enough to try them that day and I was amazed. They were wonderful! And during my years living in Southern California, I fell in love with these breaded fish tacos topped with this creamy chipotle sauce.
What are Baja tacos?
Baja tacos consists of breaded and fried fish chunks, a creamy dressing, cool crunchy cabbage and spicy pico de gallo all folded into a soft warm corn tortilla.
What you need to make Fish Baja Tacos (breaded fish tacos):
Ingredients for the creamy chipotle sauce (Baja sauce recipe):
- 3/4 cup of Ranch Dressing
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle diced with 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
Instructions for creamy Chipotle Sauce:
In a small dish mix ranch dressing, sour cream and the diced chipotle well. Place in fridge while preparing the fish
Ingredients for the breaded fish tacos
- A cup of green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of red cabbage, shredded
- A medium onion, minced or chopped finely
- 1 1/2 pounds of fresh sea bass, cod or halibut, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
How to Make Baja tacos:
Mix the cabbages and onion, set aside.
Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl or fish breader dredge fish cubes in flour mixture until well coated.
Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a skillet or use a fish fryer until temperature reaches 350 F. degrees.
Gently drop fish chunks in hot oil and fry 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Heat corn tortillas on a comal. Fold the fish into the warmed tortilla, top with some of the cabbage mixture, add a couple of spoonfuls of chipotle sauce and top with pico de gallo
Mexican Food Recipes:
Click HERE to save these Baja California fish tacos to Pinterest
Baja Fish Tacos
For the Creamy Chipotle Sauce
For the Pico de Gallo
- 2 to tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeños diced
- 1 serrano chile seeded and chopped
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 4 green onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- salt to taste
- Prepare the chipotle dressing (below) and the pico de gallo (below) , refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Mix the cabbages and onion, set aside.
- Gently drop fish chunks in hot oil and fry 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat corn tortillas on a comal. Fold the fish into the warmed tortilla, top with some of the cabbage mixture, add a couple of spoonfuls of chipotle sauce and top with pico de gallo
Chipotle Creamy Sauce
- In a small dish mix the ranch dressing, sour cream and the diced chipotle well, set aside
Pico de Gallo
- In a medium bowl mix the tomatoes, jalapeños, Serrano chile and both onions. Season with fresh cilantro, juice of the limes and salt to taste. Set aside