If you are looking for a great meatless meal that your whole family will enjoy, then try this Eggplant Parmigiana. It is also low carb since the eggplant is not coated with bread crumbs.
It's just a burst of great Italian flavor with a healthier twist!
- 1 large eggplant cut into thin slices lengthwise
- Olive oil
- 1 lb Mozzarella Cheese, sliced or grated
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- olive oil
- 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 carrot
1. Make the red sauce below and let it simmer for at least an hour (longer is even better).
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Fry the eggplant slices in just enough olive oil to cover the skillet. Only fry 2 to 3 slices at one time about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
4. Spoon enough red sauce in the bottom of a 9 X 13 casserole dish to just cover the bottom.
5. Place half of the slices of the cooked eggplant over the sauce, cover with more sauce.
6. Top with half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese.
7. Layer with remaining eggplant slices, red sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in that order.
8. Sprinkle with the chopped basil.
9. Bake for 40 minutes uncovered until cheese is melted and bubbly.
10. Let cool about 10-15 minutes before serving.For the Italian Red Sauce
1. Finely chop the garlic cloves.
2. Cover the bottom of a dutch oven with olive oil and heat on med heat.
3. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Pour in tomatoes and chicken broth.
5, Drop in 1 whole peeled carrot. (The carrot will remove the acids of the tomatoes and prevent heartburn from the red sauce)
6. Lower the heat to low and let the red sauce simmer for an hour or even more.
7. Remove carrot and discard before serving.
Powered by Recipage
Other Italian themed Dishes you might enjoy: