If you are looking for a salad that is different for a special meal like Thanksgiving, Christmas or just a dinner party, we have a suggestion for you.
Even though we love a classic lettuce and tomato salad, sometimes we want to shake it up a bit and add some of the seasonal flavors to the mix. Maybe even add something with a crunch other than croutons?
Frequently my salads are what one would call kitchen sink salads or rather everything but the kitchen sink salads.
You know, where you mix "whatever" you have handy in the salad and then just add bottled salad dressing.
Truth to tell, we do use bottle salad dressing frequently and I often forget how easy it is to mix a great dressing with ingredients that I already keep in my pantry.
This salad is made with fresh spinach, romaine lettuce but any field greens would work very well and with the additions of feta cheese, chopped pecans and dried cranberries it adds a taste of winter.
A simple dressing is made from red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and olive oil complements the salad very well.
It seems like overreaching when we add a salad to an already overloaded Thanksgiving or Christmas table but this salad is rich with the flavors of fall.
It will complement your meal in flavor and is sure to make you love a winter salad.
Green Salad with Feta Cheese, Pecans, and Cranberries with a Classic Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion, diced
- 4 cups of salad greens such as romaine lettuce, fresh baby spinach, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup of feta cheese
1. In a small jar combine vinegar, green onions, salt, Dijon mustard, and pepper.
2. Slowly drizzle olive oil into mixture, cover with lid and shake until well incorporatedSalad
1. Mix greens in a large salad bowl
2. Sprinkle with pecans and cranberries and crumbled feta cheese
3. Gently toss to combine
4. Serve topped with dressing