I found this recipe years ago and I have used it more times than I can count and it always makes perfect prime rib every time.
My sweet Hubby loves Prime Rib!
I always ask my butcher to cut the bone off the rib roast and then tie it back on. This way I get all the flavor of the bone-in rib roast but it makes carving so simple.
Perfect Prime Rib
- 3 cloves garlic,minced
- 3 Tablespoons cracked Black Pepper (see below)
- 3 Tablespoons season salt
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- a pinch of brown sugar
- 1 standing Rib Roast (1/2 lb per person)
1. Combine dry seasonings with the garlic in a small bowl. Blend well
2. Rinse meat and pat dry
3. Rub seasons into and all over meat generously
4. Place in large baking dish on a rack. Do not cover or add water
5. In 3-5 hours before serving place in a preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 1 hour (for medium rare) or 1 1/2 hours (for medium)
6. Turn oven OFF but do NOT open oven door. Roast may be in oven up to 4 hours and repeat do not open oven door
7. About 40 minutes before serving turn oven to 300 degrees, cook for 40 minutes
8. Remove from oven and let rest. Roast will be perfect each time.
Powered by Recipage
Sliced Prime Rib!
Serve with a great horseradish sauce:)
*Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Place whole peppercorns in a freezer zip lock bag using a rolling pin or better yet a kitchen mallet pound until the desired consistency is obtained. Fresh flavor!!