This Texas Southern Buttermilk Pie is a classic lemony custard creation. And this desperation pie recipe is easily made from pantry staples.
Texas Buttermilk Pie Recipe:
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- Mixing Bowls
- Pie Plate
- cooling rack
How to make Texas Southern Buttermilk Pie:
Start your buttermilk pie by preheating oven to 350° F
Whisk the flour and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
Beat the eggs in a small bowl and pour into the flour and sugar mixture.
Add the buttermilk, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla ingredients and mix well.
Pour this custard filling into prepared pie crust.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until almost set, be sure shield edges of pie crust with pie crust shield to prevent over-browning.
Remove from oven, place on wire rack and let set 1 hour before cutting to serve
Other Texas/Southern Desserts:
Click HERE to save this Southern Buttermilk Pie Recipe to Pinterest
Southern Buttermilk Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk flour and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl and pour into the flour/sugar mixture.
- Add next 5 ingredients and blend well.
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until almost set, be sure shield edges of pie crust with pie crust shield to prevent over-browning.
- Remove from oven, place on wire rack and let set 1 hour before cutting.