When my son was in college he worked as a Fireman for the University and this was a favorite of his fellow firefighters. It's easy, healthy and totally satisfying. I always loved the idea that the Firemen took turns preparing dinner and they would eat together. My son is still able to prepare this even in his sleep, but this has been a favorite at our house for some time so I was glad to share this recipe with my son and glad his fellow firefighters enjoyed it.
Roasted Veggies and Sausage Pasta
- 1 purple onion, cut into halves then fourths
- 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half
- 10 stalks of Asparagus
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 package of sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 12 ounces whole-grain penne, cooked according to package instructions
- Freshly grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
2. In a Ziplock Baggie toss all the vegetables, except the tomatoes, with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Arrange the veggies on a baking sheet and roast, until caramelized, about 30 minutes, turning vegetables halfway through the cooking time.
4. In a small bowl, add the tomatoes and the remaining olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and add to the baking sheet, at the halfway point of cooking.
5. Meanwhile remove sausage meat from the casings and saute the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through
6. Turn up the heat and deglaze the skillet with white wine
7. Once the vegetables are cooked, cool slightly, then coarsely chop all the veggies except the tomatoes.
8. Add the vegetables and any pan juices to the sausage in the skillet. Toss in the cooked penne, season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Add 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese. Toss gently to combine and serve topped with additional parmesan cheese
Powered by Recipage