Yes, it's true I have turned over a new leaf!
I am on a healthy living adventure which includes cutting back on the fats, getting more exercise and of course eating more veggies!! I have lost a few of those stubborn pounds and have plenty more to lose so this must go on for awhile:) Ha!
My Sweet Fellow and I are working out every day and counting all those little calories that pass through the lips and settle on the hips.
We have learned that starvation doesn't work, we must have plenty of energy to work out and our meal choices must satisfy our tummies and very importantly it must satisfy our appetites.
We just can't feel deprived and hungry.
A great answer to a low calorie but highly satisfying meal is a soup that is full of veggies with plenty of flavor. We enjoy this soup with a low calorie wrap or a huge salad and we feel full and very satisfied.
Italian Veggie Soup
- 1 Zucchini, chopped
- 1 Yellow Squash,chopped
- 1 Purple Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of Broccoli florets
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- olive oil
- 1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16oz) can reduced sodium chickpeas
- 1 (15oz) can reduced sodium black beans
- 3 cups fresh kale
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2-3 cups of water, chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place all the fresh veggies in a large dutch oven and add just enough olive oil to keep them from sticking
2. Stir fry the veggies on high heat until the onions are translucent
3. Add the Italian seasoning at this point and give it a quick stir fry to release all the flavors and continued to stir fry until the veggies are caramelized.
4. Add the tomatoes with juice
5. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and black beans and add to the veggies
6. Bring to a boil (if addition liquid is needed, add some water, chicken or vegetable broth)
7. Add the kale and cook until kale is done (I love the added health benefits from the kale and kale holds up so much better than spinach in a soup.
8. Salt and pepper to taste. (I aways add more pepper and keep it light on the salt:)
9. Serve with a little Parmesan cheese on top.
Powered by Recipage