I found this recipe in a local newspaper 30 years ago and my family still loves it.
It is requested (please make that chile cheesy thingy!!) at every family reunion and if fact, I make two pans and it's the first dish to empty (may go to three next reunion??).
It is so simple but it has an awesome flavor but of course how can you go wrong with loads of cheese and yummy green chiles!
Chile Relleno Casserole
- 4 (7oz) cans whole green chiles or 1 (27oz) can whole green chiles
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 2 T Flour
1. Seed chiles and lay 1/2 in bottom of 9 X 11-inch baking dish, sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top of chilies,
2. Layer remaining chilies and sprinkle grated Jack cheese on top
3. Separate egg whites, beat remaining ingredients except egg whites together.
4. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff and fold into wet ingredients.
5. Gently pour over top of chile casserole
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, covered, uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer to brown.
Powered by Recipage
Other Great Mexican Dishes