It's always a toss up for me between Mexican Food and Italian Food! I love both!
But we are eating healthy and staying fit so I have to be careful when I indulge in either one.
We were craving good old fashioned Spaghetti and Meatballs the other day but we didn't wish to lose any ground in our healthy journey. So we tweaked a few recipes and came up with these:
Turkey Meatballs and Spaghetti
- 1.25 lbs of lean ground Turkey
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 12 oz whole grain spaghetti (or whole grain linguine)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, parsley, basil and black pepper. Mix ingredients thoroughly and then shape into large 2 inch diameter meatballs. (This recipes makes 8 meatballs.)
3. Arrange meatballs on a baking sheet and bake in oven 45-50 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
4. In a large saucepan, combine the pasta sauce and the cooked meatballs. Simmer over low heat until the sauce warmed thoroughly, about 20 minutes.
5. While the pasta sauce is heating, prepare spaghetti (or linguine) accordingly to its package directions.
6. Drain spaghetti and place in large serving dish, top with meatballs and pasta sauce
7. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. (Serving size is two meatballs per person)
Powered by Recipage
Other Healthier choice dishes: