My mother loved Chocolate Covered Cherries, we always bought her those little boxes that appear around Christmas time. Even when Alzheimer’s claimed her, she never forgot about those cherries. She didn’t always know who I was but her face would light up when we gave her these candy gifts. She was also a lover of homemade treats and would have been pleased to have some of these homemade chocolate covered cherries in her favorite Fostoria Crystal bowl near her chair.
We have been wanting to try our luck in making homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries and have studied up on the process. And we have discovered it’s not that hard with a few tricks.
1. Buying a good chocolate, don’t waste your time on a cheap chocolate
2. Using silicone mats so the inside gooey goodness doesn’t leak out if the coating sticks to the cookie sheets.
3. Melting pot or a double boiler to melt chocolate
4. Candy Thermometer
5. Gift Boxes (optional)
We also decided to choose a dark chocolate for our chocolate coating since we know of so many great health benefits associated with dark chocolate.
And we just love tempered chocolate. Who doesn’t love the snap when you bite through the coating into that gooey center?
We wanted our Chocolate Covered Cherries with a gorgeous shiny chocolate coating with that awesome snap into gooey treasure and we wanted a thicker coating.
Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1 tablespoon of cherry juice (retain from the drained cherries)
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 10oz jar of maraschino cherries (30-35)
- 1 lb Dipping and Coating Chocolate (no tempering required)
- Silicone Baking Mat (prevents the covered cherries from sticking and losing the filling)